Breathing-nose or mouth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
coach

RE: Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby coach » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 pm

I really believe that deer will smell your clothing, odor, boots, ....whatever, way before your breath. 
That's my opinion.  People may of shot big deer when breathing through their nose, or mouth.  This is
something that nobody knows for sure.

Sure after eating so Salami with garlic whatever,  when we burp....it smell like Toby's panties, but....i'm still convince that it doesn't make any differences.  I've shot alot....and personally breathing through your nose, will just calm you down when the true moment comes.

This is just my opinion....that's all.  But I like all of your response.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I am amazed at the responses I see here. Really.

I hunt on the ground, I eat whatever I darn well want, I don't own a stitch of scent-loc, and I rarely ever get wind busted.

Yesterday I was stillhunting in a crosswind, and had a doe pass within 25 to 30 yards of me. I drew on her, but I had no good shot, so I let her pass. She moved off unalerted, and then was downwind of me when she was about 80 yards out. She never scented me either.

What do you guys do, live in a locker room or something eating raw garlic and limburger cheese???

I'm amazed at YOUR response. My guess is that you never even see the deer that are winding you because you are on the ground and they are gone before you even see them.

The whitetail deer has a sense of smell that we cannot even fully comprehend. They live and die by that nose and if a hunter wants an edge, he/she had better not cut corners with scent control. But even with a careful scent routine, you can and will get busted from time to time!

Does that mean that every deer that passes down wind will detect you? No. But a hunter is foolish to think that they are scent proof. I have about 65 hrs. in the stand this season and I cannot say that I have been really busted so far. But I have seen deer start to get a little twitchy when they are danger close and someof them have decided to move on.

That being said, thanks for the link re. chlorophyll tabs. I am ordering some today. I don't like to take chances.

LOL! I know you think I'm lying, but what can I say? Sure, there may, and probably are, some deer that I never saw that winded me, but in all the years (23) that I treestand hunted, I NEVER EVER had a deer scent bust me when it was within eyesight, far, OR right under me.

I have had 3 times on the ground where I was wind busted. Mostly by errant thermals.

And I never said I was scent free, either. I just try to keep  myself clean, and as scent free as possible.

I do, however, know of many guys like yourself, who get scent-busted on a regular basis. Why? Who knows. I think that part of it is personal body chemistry, and some of it (not you!) are guys who flat just can't keep still on stand, and it's their MOVEMENT that busts them first. I personally know several guys like this. They have to have a blind or a treestand that almost completely encloses them to be successful.

I will also mention that the recent experience I had with that deer is NOT uncommon for me, and in fact is the norm, as long as I SEE THEM FIRST. Take it as you will.

Woods, I've figured it out. You just naturally smell like an animal![:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Well.....I have been accused on more than one occasion of being a PIG of various forms. Does that count??  [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:38 am

You don't have a green tint to your skin do you Woodsy?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:10 pm

ORIGINAL: beagleman23

You don't have a green tint to your skin do you Woodsy?

Only when I spend a lot of time in the woods and moss starts growing on my north side! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:23 am

You'll never get lost then...hehee.  Who I'm I kidding, I'll be poppin' the tablets next season.  My wife's already got me eating afalfa spouts with my salad.

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 am

I too quit smoking to fruther eliminate my odor in the woods. Couldn't hold off for more than an hour before lighting up & am sure missed deer because of it. Was wondering Woodswalker, is it the 50mg size that your taking 2 of. I'll give anything a try if it might get me a big buck [:D].

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes sir, they are 50mg. I take 2 in the morning, and two in the evening during hunting season.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:54 pm

I cut up an apple or 2 and carry them in my pack.  Cutting them into slices helps with not making all the noise of eating an apple still whole.  If it doesen't work from an oral scent stand point at least it's a healthy snack.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

hntr36

Postby hntr36 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 am

it doesnt matter nose or mouth your scent will still be emitted. I take apple slices and chew a slice every hour there natures breath mints

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices