Fell Out Of The Stand Today

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
paulie

RE: Fell Out Of The Stand Today

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:29 pm

I have never used one and until recently i didnt think anyone actually used the darn things.

I've put it on in the house a couple times and then took it with a couple mornings but after fighting with it and getting tangled in the darn thing to the point of nearly falling down trying to get it on i always end up throwing it back in the truck and going hunting.

I need to invest in the HSV, That looks alot easier to use than the ones that come with the stands.
           I use a "Hunter Safety System", and let me tell ya, it's sooo much easier than the ones that come with the tree stands, Plus it has pockets (bonus). There not cheap, but well worth the cost (IMO), I mean, can you really put a price on your life, or your ability to walk? I think not.  Be safe guys, if not for you, than for your loved ones!!

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Your 17 and that is probably the only reason you bounced back like you did, but here is something to ponder and I think the more seasoned of us will agree. You just wrote a check on your body that in 10-20 years you will have to cash. I have some injuries that I got playing football 20 years ago that are just now are coming back to remind me from time to time.
         Very good point!!!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:05 pm

I thought it was HSS, but when prairieshadow said HSV i second guessed myself. But yes i use the HSS not the HSV. sorry about that, and thanks for pointing it out paulie

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

I would still go to a Doctor a get a check-up...you never know what you could have injured and it may affect you later on?Be careful and wear a harness from now on.....! [&:]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Glad you're still with us...That's dangerous!  I fell about 15 feet last year and I still think about it to this day and think twice when I climb that tree!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 pm

On the other hand, I'm corresponding with a friend from Leon County, TX that crawled into an old elevated box blind that he had not been in for a couple of years. It looked safe enough.  A few minutes later he found himself on the ground with the floor of the blind on top of him, and 2 broken vertebrae, haven fallen only 10 feet.

As a guy who came of age in this sport when straps were still considered an optional item, let me tell you that getting a pass like that from 20 feet up is a gift.  You ought to be thinking about the ministry.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 am

Holy smokes! That had to be an eye opener for sure. Of course at 17, you could have done a back flip like a gymnnast! Image  Ok , you got a free pass on this one. Us older guys.................well let's just say they'd be collecting pieces of us off the ground. DO NOT climb any tree without the safety vest. You have your whole life ahead of you. STAY SMART AND LIVE LONG.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 am

Another lesson to take away from this incident is:  Never use a tree branch as a step.

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:49 am

Glad to here you are ok, That has got to scare ya. Think Smart, Stay Safe, and Happy Hunting. Congrats on the Doe also....
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:23 am

Amazing how in less than a millisec this boy was able to (hopefully) impact more lives than he probably will the rest of his life.
Thankfully he was able to tell us about it from his PC and not an article in the the local gazette.

I use what came with my Summit Viper, I think it is totally acceptable and not difficult to put on. However, it does bind me in the nether region while sitting. Someone on here mentioned that the HSS does not do it quite as bad. The HSS is on my list for next fall.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions