Hidden Funnels?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunter480

RE: Hidden Funnels?

Postby hunter480 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i think all this fence talk is a waste.deer can easily leap over a typical fence.i seriously doubt they seek out a lower section to get from point a to point b

Experience in Midwestern farm country has shown me otherwise. Not that deer cannot easily cross the fence, but trails do develop at low spots or holes.

Exactly JPH, exactly.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:31 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i think all this fence talk is a waste.deer can easily leap over a typical fence.i seriously doubt they seek out a lower section to get from point a to point b

Im my experience, i believe they do seek a lower section. on the land I hunt, the whole way around the fields there are electric fences for cattle from the previous owner. We just grow crops, so the upkeep of the fence is not a priority. 90% of the fence is still standing but that 10% where a tree fell down on it, or it broke or what not, those are the places to hunt. we have found so many trails leading to those points. its a funnel from the woods to the fields. now dont get me wrong, there have been many times where i have seen the deer just jump the fence at random spots. but its more often than not that they head for the section of fence that is down. thats exactaly why I had 2 stands on the farm at 2 points around the fields where the fence was down.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:59 am

My opening day when i shot that 10 pointer
i noticed a break in the fence leading up to the powerlines and i sat there
he came down the trail jsut to cross the fence but he didnt get that far ; )

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:10 am

i agree they can be productive if they have been in place for awhile and other terrain features  direct them towards it,but actually changing the fence and expecting to see deer use it i still dont think is going to work.so far all the examples stated have mentioned other features that also effected deer movement.Guys at our camp tried this technique and it didnt work.but hey if it works for you go for it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:44 pm

i agree with that joel.. i didnt realize that was what you meant. i believe, like you said, that they have to be in place for a while for them to be used. you can just go out and make one and expect to see deer everywhere.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 am

very true
i think they are a lot like humans they use the easiest travel routes to get from point A to point B
if there has been a fence that has been knocked down for a while they will use it sometimes

Previous

Return to Best Practices