Buying a new bow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ranwin33

RE: Buying a new bow

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 am

ORIGINAL: Washburn

Thanks for the responses and advice. I do plan on shooting a variety of bows before making a decision. I am not hung up on weight. Back in the day I shot a 45# Bear recurve and took deer with it so I know there are more important considerations than weight.
I am short (5'7") but strong, so to me I want a bow that fits my shorter draw length. And, I want a lightweight, short bow that I can quietly maneuver sitting down in my tree stand. Thanks again everybody.

Washburn

With a short draw length you can pretty much throw the advertised speed ratings out the window so don't let those be a deciding factor.  My draw length is 26.5 or 27 inches depending on the bow and I shoot 58 pounds - so I know I will never see speeds in the 300 fps range.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 am

All great advise, I just want to add one trick. Pick out a hand full of different bows. Then shoot them all at "close range with your eyes closed". The one that feels the best to you is the bow you should buy. This way brand and the sales guy don't sell you on brand alone.
There really isn't a bad bow on the market

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:37 pm

ORIGINAL: mag30079

All great advise, I just want to add one trick. Pick out a hand full of different bows. Then shoot them all at "close range with your eyes closed". The one that feels the best to you is the bow you should buy. This way brand and the sales guy don't sell you on brand alone.
There really isn't a bad bow on the market

best thing said, "there really isnt a bad bow on the market". i got a new bow this summer, it took me a month to go around to all the different places i could find and shoot different bows, but when you are spending that much money, i wanted to try everything i could. just get whats comfortable for you.. i shoot with a bunch of guys who own bowtechs.. and boy did i get hounded when i didnt just go out and get one. but im 5'7" and most of there bows were to long for my liking and the ones that were short enough, i didnt like how they felt. but all i can say is get out the phone book and call around to see what brands different stores have. i shot high country, bowtech, hoyt, darton, mathews, parker, diamond, bear, psc.. and many others, im not even going to tell you what i ended up with because ultimately its your decision. just make sure you know whats out there.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Thanks for the responses and advice. I do plan on shooting a variety of bows before making a decision. I am not hung up on weight. Back in the day I shot a 45# Bear recurve and took deer with it so I know there are more important considerations than weight.
I am short (5'7") but strong, so to me I want a bow that fits my shorter draw length. And, I want a lightweight, short bow that I can quietly maneuver sitting down in my tree stand. Thanks again everybody.

Washburn

With a short draw length you can pretty much throw the advertised speed ratings out the window so don't let those be a deciding factor.  My draw length is 26.5 or 27 inches depending on the bow and I shoot 58 pounds - so I know I will never see speeds in the 300 fps range.

and i dont know.. you could maybe see those speeds.. im 5'7" with a  27" draw and shoot 59.5 pounds. im shooting between 295 and 297fps with my hunting arrow.. almost to that elusive 300 fps. took a lot of tuning and a professional string, but with the bows today, its attainable.. speed isnt everything tho. i just like it because it can help compesate for an error in yardage judgement.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm

ORIGINAL: mhouck06

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Washburn

and i dont know.. you could maybe see those speeds.. im 5'7" with a  27" draw and shoot 59.5 pounds. im shooting between 295 and 297fps with my hunting arrow.. almost to that elusive 300 fps. took a lot of tuning and a professional string, but with the bows today, its attainable.. speed isnt everything tho. i just like it because it can help compesate for an error in yardage judgement.

What the heck kind of bow are you shooting and getting those speeds from with that short of draw length? What weight arrow?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 am

I remember what bow you picked (Mhouck06). I've shot that model and loved it.

ishman

RE: buying a new bow

Postby ishman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:11 am

I would definitly buy one from a local dealer. Most of them know what they are doing with them and can answer any questions you have. I would make sure i shot one before i bought it. You may be suprised that some of the cheaper bows are every bit as good as the big name expensive bows. If your limit is 800 bucks, a mathews will use all that up plus some. Check out their other line of bows, Mission. They are still mathews quality at a little cheaper price.

MD Lease

Postby MD Lease » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks man. Where you from in western PA?

ishman

Postby ishman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:27 am

I live in punxsutawney. Jefferson county

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 am

Here is what I would do if I were you. Go to one of the giant stores like Cabelas. Forget about the price tags and just start picking up bows. Feel their weight, how well they draw back, maybe even shoot a few. You might be surprised; the bow that feels the best might be $400, or it may be $700. Then, once you know exactly what you want go on Ebay and buy one new in box/unused. You will save $100 + getting it off ebay. Once you get it take it to a local shop to have it tuned specifically to you, get arrows, etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting