Primer recommendations

HoneyHole

RE: Primer recommendations

Postby HoneyHole » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 am

The problem using 777 pellets and 209 primers is the dreaded scum ring at the base of the breech plug. I quit using 777 because of it. It got so bad I couldn't even seat the bullet all the way. What's happening is the 209 primer is actually pushing the load and bullet forward before ignition. I changed over to American Pioneer and am using Remington KleenBore primers and no scum ring, and hardly any fouling at all in the barrel. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 am

ORIGINAL: HoneyHole

The problem using 777 pellets and 209 primers is the dreaded scum ring at the base of the breech plug. I quit using 777 because of it. It got so bad I couldn't even seat the bullet all the way. What's happening is the 209 primer is actually pushing the load and bullet forward before ignition. I changed over to American Pioneer and am using Remington KleenBore primers and no scum ring, and hardly any fouling at all in the barrel. 

The crusty ring can be eliminated by simply swabbing the bore between every shot......it`s a non-issue.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:18 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

The crusty ring can be eliminated by simply swabbing the bore between every shot......it`s a non-issue.

I'm using American Pioneer now and it's MUCH cleaner buring than 777 or Pyrodex. No need to swab. And in hunting situations swabbing isn't always convenient. APP seems to lube the bore making reloading much easier also.

Squirrel- You never said what type of primer you're having issues with.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:28 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

Winchester 209 primers have always worked well for me never had a problem. I was told before loading my muzzleoader to put a primer in and fire it off to clean out anything that might cause a missfire. Anybody else heard of this or done it.

Absolutely, that ensures any oil, or cleaning solvents that may potentially interfere with the ignition of the powder are burned off. In fact, I`ll "snap off" several caps or primers.

I have been taught that three is the magic number

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:30 am

ORIGINAL: kat750

I hunt with a CVA Wolf , I use Winchester 209 primers and have shot 200+ shots with it and have never had a misfire (knock on wood) but that is all I'v used along with  100 gran  pyrodex pellets and 295 gran aerotip powerbelt bullets.

I have been using the 245 grain powerbelts. What lead to your choice of the 295?

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 am

I'm using American Pioneer now and it's MUCH cleaner buring than 777 or Pyrodex. No need to swab. And in hunting situations swabbing isn't always convenient. APP seems to lube the bore making reloading much easier also.

Winchester last year. This year the 777 primers. No ignition problems after hunting 2 long days in real wet weather. In retrospect, I'm beginning to think that some or all of my problems last year may have been due to neglect. I have been more careful this year with cleaning, and also taping the muzzle when hunting in the rain.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:28 am

I guess I don`t understand where or when it`s not convenient to swab???? Whether at the range or in the field, a wet spit patch to swab with is the only thing to do.

Additionally, I`ve heard very negative things about the ballistics and down range velocity of APP.

But back to the point, if a swab between shots is an issue, there`s more of an issue than just that.

kat750

Postby kat750 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:45 pm

it was because I had 2 pks of the 295 gr bullets left from my old cva,   when I took the gun to the range to shot my first shot with the 295 at 50 yrds was 1/4 inch high and about 1 inch to the left so it didn't take many shots to get it tuned in so I just stuck with them.

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:08 pm

According to my sources and through my own findings, when hunting really cold weather, the Federal 209A is about as good as it gets. That is all I use now and center my loading around that primer. This primer works well with my NEF Sidekick utilizing Black Horn 209 propellant.

Previous

Return to Muzzleloaders