full moon

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Beeman

full moon

Postby Beeman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 am

On tv  show Charlie talks about 2nd full moon in Oct. Does he mean the hunters moon.   

Blake Dandurand

RE: full moon

Postby Blake Dandurand » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm

i believe so, but i am not sure. i seen the same thing another place about it. something like the second moon is the hunters moon, which is the trigger for the doe estrus cycle. but any other info bout it?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:55 pm

I haven't heard of it being called the hunters moon, i have heard the rutting moon, but i'm sure it's prob. the same thing! But it is the 2nd full moon after the autumn equinox and is supposed to kick start the rut, there are prob other factors as well, but if your going by alsheimer, he has said this is what traditionally kicks off the rut and he also has said that the best days to be in the woods for the rut are 7-13 days after the rutting moon, which is just about to happen this weekend and into next week, (20th-26) so hopefully this week is a great week to be out in the woods! Im heading out tom for the first time since sunday! Good luck out there guys!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:03 pm

my understanding is the second full moon in october is the hunters moon and thats the trigger the third full moon in november is the rutting moon when the majority of does go into estrus
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bushwacker

Postby bushwacker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:48 am

the first full moon after the autumn equinox is the harvest moon. the second full moon is the rutting moon. I follow this religiously.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:52 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

I haven't heard of it being called the hunters moon, i have heard the rutting moon, but i'm sure it's prob. the same thing! But it is the 2nd full moon after the autumn equinox and is supposed to kick start the rut, there are prob other factors as well, but if your going by alsheimer, he has said this is what traditionally kicks off the rut and he also has said that the best days to be in the woods for the rut are 7-13 days after the rutting moon, which is just about to happen this weekend and into next week, (20th-26) so hopefully this week is a great week to be out in the woods! Im heading out tom for the first time since sunday! Good luck out there guys!

I have. We actually have festival in the Lafayette, In. area that celebrates the frontier days and it is called "Feast of the Hunters Moon" Originally it was gathering of frontiersman and friendly Indian tribes in October during the second full moon to trade, drink, fight, whatever. (Sounded like fun to me[;)])

The modern festival is held whenever in Sept and or October, but that is where it draws its name.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:38 am

This is a slight deviation from the orignal topic, but the full moon is upon us again tonight and it will kick off the secondary rut...my question is how does a full moon effect deer movement.  I've heard varying arguments regarding deer movement but the concensus seems to be that the deer don't move or there is not much activity (except at night) during a full moon.  Can someone please dispell the myth?

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:59 am

I'll say this, full moon or not deer move a lot during the night time.  Their eyesight is designed to see better in darkness and they know it's safer then.  I don't think a full moon makes them anymore likely to move at night or less likely to move during the day.  They do this naturally year round.  During the past new moon when we were at the hunting camp we saw far more deer at night then we did during the day.  Regardless deer (especially does and fawns) do need to feed and drink at sometime during the day.  Lucky for us during the rut the Bucks are just horny enough to follow them! 

I do agree that this full moon is considered the hunters moon for us down here in the South.  We technically have two ruts in the South.  One in December (minor rut action) and one in January (major rut action), both coincide with the full moon.  I'll be in the woods this afternoon through Sunday, I'll report back what I observe.  Everyone else hunting this weekend should do the same if they can.  Happy hunting everyone!    

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:09 am

I'll be in the woods this afternoon as well..so lets see, its the second rut, full moon, pretty windy, and I'm still hunting w/ a bow...gee I'm a glutten for punishment, lol...I do love the challange though!

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign