Wisconsin Hunters Rights Coalition????

Fish

Wisconsin Hunters Rights Coalition????

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:40 am

I just found this: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/35836804.html

Apparently this group tried to stop the T-zone for this weekend.  Although they were shot down, kudo's for them for trying.  I'm goin to contact them and see what's next/if I may lend a hand

Washburn

RE: Wisconsin Hunters Rights Coalition????

Postby Washburn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Despite the fact that I'm hunting T Zone this weekend....I think the problem with these kinds of efforts is that they ignore the reality of the situation.

It's not feasible....possible even...to halt a hunt that is already on the books... based on emotion.

Consider this; had they been successful...what's to stop a similar effort from succeeding that could halt a hunt that you/we want? Dangerous territory.
Ontario Spring Bear season kind of scary.

Until policies such as Sturgeon spearing-type legislation is on the books (could that even work with deer?) these efforts are more publicity stunts than vigorous litigation or efforts with a chance in hellfire of being successful.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:52 pm

While this may not have been feasible this year...I think that the idea of having those in the hunting community have a say so in the game quotas is long time coming. The individual groups that make up this coalition are far from fruitcakes.

The only thing I fear that will get the DNR, Dept of Ag, and the State, is a hit in the wallet. While I am sure that some of these types actually believe their figures, a shot to the state's coffers will get local and state officials attention.

We'll see what comes out of the spring meetings this year. If the DNRs' fixation is more of the same, I see/have no problem in calling for a boycott of all hunting this next year. And this is from a guy who is a hunting nut. But protecting the future of our game species for the future, is worth a bit of sacrifice now.
(Florence Co., WI)

highview72

Postby highview72 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:45 am

This group may what we need to get organized.

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:40 am

I did read up on Washburn points on the Ontario bear season and am very familiar with the current regs on sturgeon.  The bear situation was completely different than the regs for sturgeon.  I think the point this group was trying to accomplish is exactly like the sturgeon.  The bear situation was a problem of landowners, officers and warden shooting bear without the G&F department calculating these animals in their annual harvest.

A biologist from WI DNR stated to the Pres of WU, the fawn numbers in WI were down to the point they wouldn't have had EAB and T-zones in most areas.  I'd be happy to get that person's name for you to referance if you'd like.  So the groups point was correct, we are very close, if not already to a overharvest.  Not an emotional argument but a factual one at that.

The second point of stopping a season already on the books.  This is exactly what the sturgeon season will do when a quota is met.  I'm not sure how many of you hunt out of state, but most states have an emergency closure is the kill reaches a certain point.  The group felt like with the information given to them, we had reached this point.

Finally, no one has been cheated out of a hunt or the price of tags.  The extra "holiday" season and T-zone are just added hunts to certain areas.  Hunters have been given the same amount of hunting time as they have in the past.

Mtnman, I'm surprise on the tone of your last few post.  In the beginning, you sounded a bit more like Washburn.  Your not getting soft, are you?  lol

And Washburn, I really appreciate your views.  It is impossible to have an educated discussion without opposing views.  Otherwise, we'd all be ranting emotionally.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:28 am

Fish...me getting soft? hehe
Not at all....it does go along with my sense and suggestions that the DNR has over stated deer population sfor along time, as well a severely underestimating bear populations should concern all hunters of the States' ability to manage resources. These animals are not trees, where you can guarentee  harvest regardless of weather. That is why the local input is far to important to disregard. We can assume if the DNR's info was correct, we would not be at this point in many parts of the state. The agencys' plan could work in some parts of the state(grain belt) and end up erradicating deer in others(northern woods).

So, do I have confidence in the agency's ability to manage deer, based upon it's past performances? Not a chance. I, and the folks that live and own land up this way, will do what we can to manage the deer in our areas. We know them best...and our efforts could not end up any worse than the DNR has been doing.
(Florence Co., WI)

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:05 am

The only way a sturgeon season framework would work would be if all hunters were required to register deer the day they were shot. I bet you guys wouldn't like that so much. Plus, I don't think the current deer registration process is automated to the point where registrations could be tracked in near real time. I doubt if the bartender at the Hideaway Bar (where I register my deer) goes online each night to send in registration figures.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:41 am

The point is not the daily registration of deer.  Absolutely no reason to stop a 9 day gun season or the archery season.  The point being made is the harvest done by herd reduction hunts.  They could have stopped it and still continued bow hunting, which late season number a small.  They don't have "holiday seasons" and T-zone to make the hunters happy, they do it to control the herd.  By stopping these hunts, they could have stopped the bleeding by admitting their mistakes(which they are already) and gain some support back from the hunters.  In fact, by making this type of stand, they probably could have went back to EAB and T-zones next year without the backlash from hunters.  By not doing it, they will continue to be harassed, more letters, more meetings, etc...  For the small number of deer harvested the next cpl of hunts, they really could have done some damage control.  Lose the battle, win the war.

Return to Wisconsin