need sugestions

willseyville

need sugestions

Postby willseyville » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:45 am

went out today on the last day of gun season. i hunted a 10 acre bush lot that in years past have been full deer but today there was not one track but it was full of coyotes tracks every where. i decided this needs to be adressed . so i'm asking all you guys who hunt them what's the best why to go about takeing them weapons, tactics and calls . thank you for any advice you can give me[:)]wayne

CB on the run

RE: need sugestions

Postby CB on the run » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:52 am

My coyote kills have been incidental to other forms of hunting. My brother-in-law and son have spent a good deal of time and money trying to call coyotes but are unsucessful so far. They have even hunted at night with red lights. So far they have managed to call in about 6 red and grey fox but not one yote. In NY it is legal to use dogs which has been the most consistant producer that I have seen. I don't have any and believe it would be a time consuming investment. There maybe some clubs around willing to take hunters along but the few around here are unwilling to hunt with unknow guests.
Hunting in NY this year was fairly tough. I put in 18 days between bow and firearms to harvest 1 doe. I did seen one decent buck during bow which did not present a shot. This land near my house is only available to me during bow and muzzleloader as of recent and has been a real producer in the past. This year there was a significant drop in sightings.
I did see 8 deer opening day including one 'racked' buck that I really couldn't get a good look at nor a shot. I passed on a spike and shot a doe at 3:09pm. I was in my treestand from 6:45am till I shot with the exception of dropping down to eat my lunch while working my leg muscles.
I'm not sure if NY DEC is over-estimating the herd in certain areas or if the record snow fall we had last year in the southern tier caused a substantial winter kill. I haven't seen a lot of coyote sign where I currently hunt but my son did miss one on the fourth or fifth day.
Good luck and happy holidays.

CB

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:31 am

If you think your lack of deer sightings this season is due to an increase in coyotes in your area, I wouldnt jump to any conclusions without looking further into it.  If you have an opportunity, get out for late season archery/muzzleloader season which is on now and ends 12/22. 
Give the area a rest and go out and do some post season scouting in January-March, before spring and see if the deer tracks reappear.  If they do, then you have other things to address (too numerous to talk about), not coyotes.  Continue to scout the area spring and summer and do your observing from a distance as next season approaches.  If you still dont see deer sign, you MAY have a coyote condition. 
My experience this season was mixed.  Although I didnt see much activity this gun season, many did and were successful.  Im not sure how much time you put in, but as they say, you get out of it what you put into it.
Good luck    

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:45 am

I personally have not seen many coyotes on my land. I have seen many tracks and I know they are around. A guy that owns a deer farm about 1/4 or of a mile away from me brought in a coyote trapper for the last 2 years and he taken out at least 50 yotes in the last 2 years. I am not saying that I beleive that this helped the deer population. But its worth thinking about, I have seen more deer this year than ever before.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 am

What do you do with the coyote when you shoot one?

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 pm

as a trapper and yote shooter, id say if you really wanna kill off the yotes trapping is the best bet. but it takes time and experience/knowledge that few have or care to invest into. if your bush lot has nothing but yote tracks a little while later, then they may have set up a den there, then if you want to see deer hide out there, you better rid yourself of them. as for scaring the deer away just by passing through and setting tracks, id say they arent your real issue. yotes take fawns and scavenge dead deer, but in all my experience id say they are not running down deer and eatting them, they are small mammal and bird hunters, and eat more mice than deer in their lives.

ive had yotes pass through and hours later had deer come through, and the deer know they were there, but they still use their home range - they dont scedadel out just cuz yotes walk by.

as for shooting them, without dogs(i dont use dogs) use calls but pay very close attention to wind and travel direction(make sure your not trying to call them in over your own tracks even though the wind is right for your "shot"), and hide very good. if they are call at a lot, forget calls and use a deer carcass and a blind/tower with a heater and its a waiting game. make sure you wire/stake down the carcass or they will haul it away!! and not come back with any regularity. its hard buissness but if you can set out snares in snow covered trails and check em daily with binocs , thats your best bet by far. 
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

Return to New York