Do You Think Deer Move More or Less In the Rain?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
dxthunter57

Do You Think Deer Move More or Less In the Rain?

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 am

you know i often here from people that rain is bad deer hunting weather
but i disagree i have gone hunting in light rain and have seen more deer on stand than ever
whats your take

69Viking

RE: Do You Think Deer Move More or Less In the Rain?

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 am

I'd have to agree with you hunter57, just about everytime I've been out in a light rain I've seen deer.  My take is if it's storming bad enough that you won't  go out on stand the deer are probably bedded down.  I think one of the best times is shortly after a heavy thunderstorm when the rain lightens up.  In light rain it seems they enjoy moving around and grazing on the green fields.  The nice thing about the rain is it washes away any human scent and creates a steady noise that will help cover up any noise you as the hunter make.  Good subject! 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 am

I think it depends on the rain.  I have hunted in heavy rains, and seen very little movement.  But like you and 69Viking I've also hunted in light rains and mists and have seen lots of deer movement.  Particularly in the mid-morning hours.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 am

Many of the pros/experts will tell you hunting in a steady/light rain (not heavy or torrential) is one of the best opportunties to see trophy bucks and deer in general.  The reason being is there are less hunters in the woods traditionally and deer have learned to associate the absense of humans in the woods with rain...hence even the mature deer that are hunkered down in the thick stuff and nocturnal in nature, will suddenly travel during the day and in more open areas when its raining.  The deer also know the rain masks the noise from their movements and are more prone to move as a result.  This is also a good time to try your hand at still hunting (as i will be doing today) since the rain and wet ground will mask the sound of your movements as well.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 am

Ditto what you guys said.  If possible, I'll try to hunt from a blind when it rains.

I do hate getting all my gear wet if I can avoid it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:01 am

yeah, depends on the rain. if it is down pouring, monsoon-like rain, then i dont bother because i dont guess they move too much. but ill go in a light rain. i will also go if it is raining, but expected to stop before shooting light ends. that seems to work really well too.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am

It poured opening day and I only saw 2 deer but firmly believe it was due more to all the standing corn rather than the rain.

coach

Postby coach » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:23 am

I read somewhere......god knows where.....that rain from the west is best.
Light rain from the west is generally no problem. Its light rain from the east that apparently causes
problem. Something to do with pressure.  Usually rain from the east means trouble.  Where I am anyways.

I didn't beleive it until I've hunted both.  For many years I purposly hunted every rainy days to see for myself.  I've seen more deer with light rain from the west.

my experience only.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:33 am

really that is trully amazing

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:38 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

I think it depends on the rain.  I have hunted in heavy rains, and seen very little movement.  But like you and 69Viking I've also hunted in light rains and mists and have seen lots of deer movement.  Particularly in the mid-morning hours.

I agree with ranwin33. This has pretty much been my experience.
I also see alot of movement right after a heavy period of rain ends.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Next

Return to Best Practices