Six Wolves Found Dead in Wisconsin

Corey Graff

Six Wolves Found Dead in Wisconsin

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

MADISON, Wis. - A signal from a radio collar alerted a pilot with the state Department of Natural Resources to the first of six wolves found dead the day before and during Wisconsin's gun deer season.

The DNR said the male wolf was found dead the day before the hunt when the collar gave off a mortality signal. Records show the wolf established a territory in Ashland County after being captured and collared in 2005 in Upper Michigan.

Other wolves found dead were an adult female found shot in Monroe County, an adult female in Vilas County, an adult male in Rusk County, an adult female in Juneau County and an adult male in Adams County.

The DNR said several of the wolves died of gunshot wounds. They're undergoing necropsies.

Wolves are listed as an endangered species in Wisconsin.

Source: duluthnewstribune.com

Fish

RE: Six Wolves Found Dead in Wisconsin

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 am

I'll keep all my simple minded, smart butt comments to myself.....nuff said.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am

I'm saying right now its the wrong thing to do but some hunters don't want wolves to destroy the deer herd so they are taking it into there own hands.  If the wolves keep reproducing and there numbers keep rising you can bet this is going to be a common thing around the state.

Fish

Postby Fish » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:20 am

I wonder how they are finding these animals.....and why people are shooting the ones with collars. lol

I'm making light of the subject and do agree that if it is illegal, it shouldn't be done.  But you honestly don't believe 6 wolves are the only ones shot.   I have no problem with farmers or ranchers protecting their livelihood by shooting hungry wolves 

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:06 pm

I agree with the above post's. I think its gonna be more common.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

It's difficult to choose what side of the fence to be on. Our own DNR biologists say we have too many wolves. When they were delisted briefly, the DNR quickly killed off about 37 wolves and had more on the hit list until the wolves were re listed. Killing 6 more helps but there is no control and where does it end? Wisconsin's DNR plan for the wolves is good. We have around 550 wolves now, they want between 350-500 wolves. Problem is the wolves went back on the Federal Endangered species list so WI. DNR's hands are tied. On one hand someone needs to trim back the wolf population and on the other hand the more wolves we kill, the longer it will take the WI. DNR to get control of the wolves back from the Feds. If we have to maintain more than 500 wolves for any length of time we need more than just deer to support them.The DNR's plan was to add more elk, but that too has hit a road block from the Dept. of Agriculture. If WI. DNR doesn't get both of these issues figured out, our deer hunting will be in big trouble and a lot of planning, research and money will go down the toilet.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm

I agree it will become more common occurance I am not going to lose any sleep over them.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 am

Maybe we should be catching these wolves and let them go in Doyle's back yard. Maybe if they see the terror up close and personal, they wouldn't be so gun ho on saving wolves? 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Another wolf was shot Monday in the southern part of Lafayette County which is right along the Illinois border.  Wolves have now been killed from the top of Wisconsin to the bottom of Wisconsin.  This most likely means that wolves could very well be running through your hunting land.  Again its going to be a common seen to see wolves being shot.

tageater

Postby tageater » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Thought it was a coyote. But I am just dumd ___ WI hunter who can't even find no deer.

Next

Return to Wisconsin