antler transplant

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vipermann7

antler transplant

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I was browsing through an old biology text book and found a section about how antlers grow. In this section, the book mentioned that back in 70's (or earlier, I am unclear as to when exactly this happened) there was an experiment where some researchers transplanted some tissue from the area where antlers grow on a deer's head to the deer's leg, and it grew a small antler. not only did a small antler grow, it shed and re-grew every year for several years.

dxthunter57

RE: antler transplant

Postby dxthunter57 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:24 am

really thats amazing

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:55 am

yeah, i was pretty surprised to read that. the fact that antlers grow, die, fall off, and regrow is pretty amazing, biologically speaking. There has been a lot of research done on the whole process I guess.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Oh Lord! Please keep this under wraps. Jackie Bushman is going to catch wind and try to have one of his outfitters engineer him a buck with multiple sets of "book antlers".

[:D][:D][:D]!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:11 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Oh Lord! Please keep this under wraps. Jackie Bushman is going to catch wind and try to have one of his outfitters engineer him a buck with multiple sets of "book antlers".

[:D][:D][:D]!
oh no you didnt[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to General Discussions