cross bow bill

mag30079

RE: Cross bow bill

Postby mag30079 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 am

ORIGINAL: Smoothbore

ORIGINAL: mag30079

Using a crossbow during bow season is like using a machine gun in gun season. Its a gun why not, and maybe some grenades while were at it. Hey don't want to run off new hunters. Maybe do a deer drive with your crossbow. Heck the chinese made multi firing cross bows why not those, it a crossbow. Why does every post on this site end up in a fight.

It ends up in a fight because you post rhetoric and opinion instead of facts. Myself and DH713 have posted facts which cannot be disputed because they are FACTS. Why not back your argument with proof and then maybe you can be takeb seriously.

Dude your not even from Michigan so what do you care? I posted this under Michigan For Michigan. There's a cross bow post under Gereral, Argue there.

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:10 am

mag30079,

Not a problem this will be my last post on the subject. I care because your state has cwd and I don't want it down here. Crossbows would be a good tool to regulate your herd. O.K.?

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:29 am

CWD was found on a deer farm. I understand your concern. Michigan has the largest population of deer hunters then any other state in the country. 300,000 archery and 400,000+ firearms. BTW thoses numbers are from the Michigan DRN site, so this is a fact. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/3485_236922_7.pdf

The next highest count is West Virginia. In michigan we don't see many bucks older then 2,2.5 years old. I can't tell you how many people here live by the slogin if its brown its down. The truth about this bill is Its just a way to make more money. More people will buy more tags. Its not about quality deer managment. We have lost half of our DNR staff here and the extra money from hunting tags is going to other programs not where it should be spent. I'm not against crossbows, I own one. They're legal to use during gun season, and for anyone with a disability that can't shoot a bow.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am

CWD was found on a deer farm. I understand your concern. Michigan has the largest population of deer hunters then any other state in the country. 300,000 archery and 400,000+ firearms. BTW thoses numbers are from the Michigan DRN site, so this is a fact. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/3485_236922_7.pdf

The next highest count is West Virginia. In michigan we don't see many bucks older then 2,2.5 years old. I can't tell you how many people here live by the slogin if its brown its down. The truth about this bill is Its just a way to make more money. More people will buy more tags. Its not about quality deer managment. We have lost half of our DNR staff here and the extra money from hunting tags is going to other programs not where it should be spent. I'm not against crossbows, I own one. They're legal to use during gun season, and for anyone with a disability that can't shoot a bow.

Here, here, kudos fellow Michigander mag30079
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:02 am

ORIGINAL: Smoothbore

Using a crossbow during bow season is like using a machine gun in gun season. Its a gun why not, and maybe some grenades while were at it. Hey don't want to run off new hunters. Maybe do a deer drive with your crossbow. Heck the chinese made multi firing cross bows why not those, it a crossbow. Why does every post on this site end up in a fight.

It ends up in a fight because you post rhetoric and opinion instead of facts. Myself and DH713 have posted facts which cannot be disputed because they are FACTS. Why not back your argument with proof and then maybe you can be takeb seriously.

Dude your not even from Michigan so what do you care? I posted this under Michigan For Michigan. There's a cross bow post under Gereral, Argue there.

WOW, I'm glad I hunt in Alabama and not in the SELFISH Bow Hunting capital of the world Michigan.  I shoot a cross bow in Alabam and my effective range with an average cross bow is about 40 yards.  You get one shot and then try and re-cock that up in the tree, not happening quietly or any time fast.  I bet half of the selfish individuals arguing against the cross bow have never even tried to pull back 150 or 175 pounds let alone in a tree.  I imagine some bow hunters couldn't even pull the string back, maybe that's why you are all crying about it.  Whoever it was that compared it to a machine gun needs to go back to the brain store for a refund.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 am

69Viking

Try reading the whole post before lashing out.  I posted this under Michigan For Michigan. There's a cross bow post under Gereral, Argue there.

You can't vote here, so .....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 am

Mag it doesn't matter what forum it's in, when it comes to the discussion of cross bow usage during archery season the attacks on cross bow users by some are vicious.  At a time when the number of hunters nationwide is declining I can't believe how cross bow users are getting attacked.  I'm in the minority since I didn't grow up hunting deer, the first time I went hunting for deer was when I as 34 so I am a "new" deer hunter.  Friends invited me to their camp about 5 years ago and from there I have learned to love the sport and hunt only to provide food for my family.  I have two sons I will try and introduce to the sport.  My 11 year old I think is already hooked.  He'll be getting his first deer rifle and hunting with me next fall if all goes well. 

The more I learned about hunting over the past five years the more I wanted to try the other method, Archery.  Using a cross bow was the easiest way to get a start in bow hunting when you live in the city, work a full time job, and have a family to raise.  My guess is cross bow hunting will ultimately lead me to try hunt with a compound bow so again I don't understand the attacks.  At a time when hunting numbers are at a decline you would think anything like a cross bow that could help introduce others to the sport who otherwise might not try it would be a good thing.  I don't think you'll see a bunch of crazys buying cross bows and crowding the woods, just good people wanting to enjoy the sport. 

After this post I'm going to try and refrain from getting caught up in the cross bow argument anymore.  I know I'm an ethical hunter who has learned a lot from reading magazines like Deer and Deer hunting, from in the field experience, and from friends.  I will be hunting with a cross bow during the Archery season which has already started in Alabama this year.  I hunt with two friends of mine who use compound bows and to be honest none of us see a huge advantage that I have.  The difference is they grew up hunting with bows, I'm just learning.  I've let them shoot the cross bow and they agree shooting a cross bow is not as easy as they thought it would be.  Good luck everyone, whether you're using a long bow, compound bow, or cross bow!       

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 am

This post wasn't started to bash cross bows. As I stated in a previous post I OWN A CROSS BOW!!!! They are legal to use during gun season here and LEGAL FOR DISABLED. I was just passing on information from the MICHIGAN BOW HUNTERS assoc. It was the out of state people that started the arguement. I also wasn't raised in a hunting family, I took up hunting in my 20's. My Father in law got me in to hunting. I'm from Detroit born and raised I also work 40 plus. If its legal in your state use it.

My whole point of this "POST" was again to pass on informaion. 90% of Michigan hunters I know are not in favor of changing the rules that where set by people like Fred Bear and others dating back to the 1930's 

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone (sorry about the machine gun comment, just got pissed off), As you stated your an ethical hunter so I fully respect you and what ever tool you use.

Savage300WSM

Postby Savage300WSM » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 am

"Michigan Bow Hunters haven't steered me wrong yet"???????????? "UNMOLESTED"?????????? "Using a crossbow during bow season is like using a machine gun during gun season"????????????
Wow, a little over dramatic are we??? I actually have another post, but it didn't work so I figured maybe it was too long. I tend to be quite long winded...lol. That's why I'm trying a shorter one first. I have to say though, brother, you have been listening to Michigan Bow Hunters, and specifically Bruce Levey's, propaganda for too long. Please educate yourself on web sites that don't have something to gain by their members being scared to death.

Savage300WSM

Postby Savage300WSM » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 am

I would like to address the completely uneducated comments of dmcianfa. I'm being kind by saying "uneducated." Bro, I won't say your grandfather didn't kill a deer at 75yrds but IF he did, that arrow had an arc from hell. He HAD to have aimed at the top of the trees and hoped like hell that the arrow FELL into the deer.  Like I said, either he arced it or maybe the deer saw gramps drawing down on him with a crossbow at 75yrds, began laughin' his ass off and just died of laughter. But like I said, I won't say that he didn't kill one at 75yrds...lol. Sorry, I gave him every benefit of the doubt with the "arc" thing, I HAD to add the "scared to death thing." Hey what can I say, I'm a funny guy. I can only refrain from comedy for so long, especially when given such wonderful ammunition. As for the "compact" thing....OMG, have you REALLY ever walked through the woods with a crossbow?? I can't even get on through my house while in my wheelchaird without banging door ways.

Stay safe, get a lot of practice, pick shots within your range, practice, shoot true, practice and Happy Hunting!!!!!!........by the way, did I say "get a lot of practice"????

Any Questions, complaints, debates, or anyone wanna just wanna shoot the bull, email me. Just make sure if you write to "debate" me you'd better educate yourself FIRST, because I have.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan