The DNR is not giving up and neither should we.

mtnman

RE: The DNR is not giving up and neither should we.

Postby mtnman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:42 am

Once again we see the DNR's hingsight as 20-20...oops..made a mistake there...not next year..who are they tryng to kid?
Also...few fewer deer is good because there are more cases of lymes disease? Lymes is carried by wood ticks also...so lets kill off every animal that can come in contact with wood ticks. And car accidents with deer? 10 people died. I do not mean to be unsaddened by the death of any human, but 10 We are occupying the lands with roads that deer occupied first...that means we have to be more careful. 2) We kill ourselves in auto crashes of an average of 750 each year in Wisconsin....something for the most part we can avoid and control.

The DNR's estimates are wrong....how long are we going to listen to them until our herd is desimamted? Seeing as we are not the only ones that control the deer herd, but weather, age, disease, and predation also, the DNR has to look at the the big picture, which it currently does not. Until that time, it will continue to fail the deer herd, and the hunters in Wisconsin.
(Florence Co., WI)

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 am

Several points made in this article by the DNR and it's biologist need documentation backing their claim.   What proof than more than half of deer collisions go unreported?  Deer decimating wild flowers?  And probably the biggest bunch of _ _ is the deer tick and Lymes.  Now we are blaming deer for lymes disease?  Please!  This propaganda must stop, I guess I have a bunch more letter to write......

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 am

I love it when the guy who hunts up north said he saw 50 wolf tracks to every 1 deer track and then the leading DNR wolf ecologist says that he is trying to find an escapegoat.  Come off it I am pretty sure everyone knows what a wolf track looks like and a deer track and your telling me that a guy who lives up north doesn't know that.  The DNR is making excuses like they always have been.  Also here is an idea.  Maybe we need to ban people talking on there cell phones while driving.  Like you can have the head set but I think that to many people are on there phones talking and aren't paying attention to the road.  Also just use common sense.  If your driving through farm country or areas where there are woods around you drive slower or pay attention.  Also what was wrong with the deer herd 10 years ago.  I didn't hear anything about how there were to many deer and how they were ruining the forest or had massive die offs.  Finally they pointed out that just because you didn't see any deer on opening day from your stand doesn't mean they aren't there.  I just started bow hunting this year so I was in the woods almost every weekend from late September to Late November.  I saw less deer total and this includes all of bow hunting and gun hunting then I did opening day of gun season last year.  So where were all the deer then.  O ya that's right there all dead.  Like i've been saying I think all the DNR workers like Warnke must be hunting in these areas where there are "100" deer per square mile.

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:24 am

"Now that the state's deer population is on the downturn, as wildlife managers planned, the balancing act between keeping hunters engaged and keeping the herd in check will become harder. "

highview72, Thanks for the link.  What is the DNR's main agenda?  Is it to control the wildlife or the hunter? 

"Wydeven said the wolf population was about the same last year, and presumably, wolves killed a comparable number of deer." This is the guy that is the DNR's wolf ecologist.  Evidently he is saying, is the same numbers of pups born this year and survided are the same as the total number of wolves that died this year. I will not call him a liar, but I do not believe him.  

I have seen 2 bear in central Wisconsin in 42 years of hunting, this year being the 43rd year I SAW 6 different bear.  The DNR have the deer population on the down turn, but not the wolf packs nor the bear population.  As Fish says " I have more letters to write."

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 am

Here's mine to this biologist:

Mr Wydeven,
In response to the information and quotes in the recent Journal Sentinel article, I'm interested in what formula you have been using to "estimate" the wolf population. Is it the same formula used to estimate our bear population? It's obviously not the model used to estimate the deer herd since it would be an over estimation. I've heard from a DNR warden that 500 wolves is well underestimated.

How dare you discredit Mr Cunningham statement and insult him along with others. Not only do people like Mr Cunningham pay your salary, they are a valuable resource to you. He stated an observation on his land and I'm sure he would be more than willing to allow you to investigate. In fact, I would love to see you investigate this by yourself and without a side arm. Your statement of "
[font="times new roman"]"are really grasping for a scapegoat." is an insult to the sportsmen of WI.[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] [font="times new roman"]
There is a reason wolves almost became extinct. Wolves are a predator, they have no boundaries or "wolf habitat". You cannot confine them to a certain area. Soon they will venture into suburban areas, feed on livestock and pets, eventually we'll have our first wolf attack on a human. As I see it, the only group "grasping" is yourself along with the DNR. Although you continue to deny it, the predators have moved down to south central WI and the IL border. They are top of the food chain predators and also opportunistic hunters, they will move where ever there is food.
Your statement that the population hasn't changed much from last year is obsured. I highly doubt the few wolves shot by the Dept of Ag offset the litters. Or maybe the mood wasn't right for "puppy love". Either way, I would suggest you get out of your office and do some field work.
I'm in no way stating we should eliminate the wolf. Like all of our natural resources, we must actively manage them. There are too many liberals in WI who think these are just wild dogs, wait until their beloved pet is being ripped apart by a few wolves in their backyard. I hope you and the DNR come to your senses before it's too late.
Your response is not expected but appreciated.[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]Sincerely,[/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]Fish

[/font]

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am

Fish great letter.  Totally agree with you. 

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 am

Well as fish said, the wolves are moving to southern Wi, and into Il. I live in southern wisconsin. Does that mean if i shoot a wolf here, thinking its a coyote, do i get fined up the butt because i shot a wolf.

I plan on doing some coyote hunting this winter, and i could just see a situation like this happeneing, where some hunter shoots a wolf and gets his bell rung for it.  In a way i kind of hope this happens, maybe it will show the DNR and all these dumb***es whats going on. It will prove that their methods of estimating animal populations is completely wrong, that the wolf population is much larger than they had thought, and this might lead them to believe that the bear pop is much larger, and the deer pop is down. 

But any ways, all i know is something needs to happen fast.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Fish I couldn't have said it any better great job.  I think the only way something is going to change is if someone in the DNR or a liberal's pet dog is killed by these wolves.  Then they will in an instant want them shot because there dog was killed.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I agree with all of you guys. The wolf population is over-estimated and will continue to rise.

Fish- your letter was excellent and very well-written. Hopefully you will get a reply.
Kyle

Next

Return to Wisconsin