Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

wack

Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

Postby wack » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:20 am

I've got an expensive pair of Rocky Hunting boots. Got them as a Xmas gift last year. 1000 Grams of Thinsulate, waterproof, leather and camo man made materials. Not sure what they are called but most resemble the Bearclaw 3D on Rocky website. I've worn them a few times last year and a few times this year, not 3 dozen times all together. Hunted last week in 25 degree temp, 6 inches of snow, should be a good day. I walked 300 yards to where I wanted to set up my blind and my feet were soaked to the bone! I changed my socks but that only helped for a short while until the dry socks were soaked.
 I sent Rocky Boots an email. No answer. Called Rocky Boots customer service at 3:40 pm monday. Put on hold for 10 minutes, then told they close at 4 and there is nobody there to take my complaint. Hung up at 3:58 pm.
 Called again today. I was told that
 "waterproof doesn't mean you can stand in Water."
"Waterproofing is only warrented for 6 months."
"Rocky waterproofing is basically a spray on silicone and I could waterproof them myself. "
If you have Rocky Boots and they do not say Gortex on them, do not assume they will stay waterproof for very long. If you make that assumtion like I did, you could be risking frostbite or worse. The rubber waterproof label on the boot will last much longer than the actual waterproofing will. I believe it's false advertising that could result in serious injury so buyers beware.

American by birth, hunter by choice.

VAHunter

RE: Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

Postby VAHunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am

I've been using Rocky boots my entire life and have never had this problem.  As a matter of fact, the only problem I ever had with the boots was when I wore them everywhere and basically wore them out....even then, Rocky sent me a new pair.

Goretex is the only way to go.

It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience not only with the boots, but with customer service as well.

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 am

waterproof doesn't mean you can stand in Water."
    Thats funny, cause every pair of "waterproof" boots I've ever owned, you could stand in water!! Trust me, I've tested this theory!!

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:18 am

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I've had good success with Rocky Boots.
I realize the boots were a gift....and you've worn them quite a bit...but maybe try returning them to the retailer. Good retailers will often replace or refund when the manufacturer won't.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 am

The 1st pair of ROCKY boots I bought lasted me for several years and I wore them out . The last two pair havn't faired as well . I have a pair of ROCKY WATERPROOF 1000 gr thinsolite boots and my feet get wet . I thought WATERPROOF meant exactly that not water resistant ! [8|]
I was putting on the Rocky boots the other day and kept missing one of the grommet hooks . Took a look and one was gone . I have never had one pull out before , even on my cheap Wal-Mart boots . By the way , the Rocky boots are made in China ! [:-]
Not sure if I would ever buy any more Rocky Boots ! [:@]
Semper Fi !

wack

Postby wack » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:23 pm

I called both Fleet Farm and Gander Mountain. Fleet Farm said that because of Rocky's return policy, they couldn't give me a refund or exchange the boots with out a receipt. Gander Mountain was a little more cooperative. They said if they could match the bar code number from the boot to boots they have in stock, they would exchange. They called me back and said the boot was not bought at Gander Mountain, they never carried that boot model #.

I actually was dumbfounded when the Rocky rep said, "Waterproof doesn't mean you can stand in water." I swear to GOD that's what he said. He said it because I told him I dried out the boots, put them on and tested them again in my bath tub. Of course, they failed the test in under 4 seconds.
 That's my concern. I thought waterproof meant waterproof but if you can not stand in water with out them leaking, it isn't waterproof is it? I believed that waterproof meant, water can not get in unless you step in water deeper than the boot is tall. These boots couldn't keep my feet dry in snow! I nearly lost my toes with out stepping in any water. It's only a matter of time until someone looses toes to frostbite wearing these boots while believing they are waterproof. If I did receive permanent damage, I'd be taking Rocky boots to court. I'm thinking about complaining to the BBB or Consumer protection agency. Any ideas?

wack

Postby wack » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:34 pm

fasteddie and anyone else who has bought a pair of Rocky waterproof boots that were not waterproof, please turn in complaints to the Consumer protection agency http://datcp.state.wi.us/core/consumerp ... ection.jsp
 and the Better Business Bureau
http://welcome.bbb.org/

My goal is to stop Rocky Boots from falsely advertising and labeling there boots as waterproof. If your Rocky boots do not say Gortex on them, the silicone waterproofing Rocky Boots use is temporary and should be advertised and labeled as such.

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 pm

I know I'm repeating myself, but waterproof means just that!! When I bought my first pair of waterproof boots(wolvarines) I tested them by standing a puddle of water(four or five inch's deep)THEY DID NOT LEAK!! Thats why their called "waterproof" boots! Obviously the dumbass you spoke to on the phone doesnt realize that, the people who buy their product's are the reason he gets a paycheck every week(dumbass!!)  Sorry to hear your having such a tough time with them(that sucks), but at the same time, I'm glad your sharing it with the rest of us!!  good luck man!

wack

Postby wack » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:09 am

The BBB got back to me in less than 24 hours and are on the case. WI. CPA have not responded yet.
 I'm not doing this for a free pair of boots. #1 I don't want others to make the same assumption that I did. Assume that waterproof means waterproof. Use your head. Leather is leather, and anything short of rubber probably needs some sort of care and treatment. A little mink oil or silicone maybe be needed and your toes and comfort may depend on it.
 #2 The Chinese have pretty much monopolized the industry by flooding the market with cheap junk and buying up American companies that couldn't compete with mass made cheap crap made with slave and child labor. Now that America is in recession so is China. If the Chinese crap doesn't stand up to the quality of the American products they drove out of business, send it back. Buy American when you can and hold Chinese products to the same standards of the American products they've replaced. Waterproof is waterproof. Means you can step in water to cross that stream, or walk in snow without getting wet. You want American jobs back? Send Chinese crap back. Make them keep fixing till they get it right or go out of business trying.
 My grandfather always said it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:52 am

ORIGINAL: wack

The BBB got back to me in less than 24 hours and are on the case. WI. CPA have not responded yet.
I'm not doing this for a free pair of boots. #1 I don't want others to make the same assumption that I did. Assume that waterproof means waterproof. Use your head. Leather is leather, and anything short of rubber probably needs some sort of care and treatment. A little mink oil or silicone maybe be needed and your toes and comfort may depend on it.
#2 The Chinese have pretty much monopolized the industry by flooding the market with cheap junk and buying up American companies that couldn't compete with mass made cheap crap made with slave and child labor. Now that America is in recession so is China. If the Chinese crap doesn't stand up to the quality of the American products they drove out of business, send it back. Buy American when you can and hold Chinese products to the same standards of the American products they've replaced. Waterproof is waterproof. Means you can step in water to cross that stream, or walk in snow without getting wet. You want American jobs back? Send Chinese crap back. Make them keep fixing till they get it right or go out of business trying.
My grandfather always said it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

Great post wack, more Americans need to realize this.  I try to buy American products every chance I get but that can be tough with the market flooded with so many things from China. 

My example was as simple as needing a belt.  I had an old belt for about 10 years that was made in Italy, it lasted 10 years.  When it finally wore out I purchased a Dockers belt at JCPenney not realizing it was made in China.  I have always thought Dockers was an American brand.  The belt lasted less than 2 months before the leather started to crack and eventually tear.  I set out on a mission to buy a belt made in America, ha, fat chance.  I went to the local mall and in every store the belts were made in China, it didn't matter if the brand was an American brand it was made in China.  I had to go to an outlet center to an American leather store before I could finally find an American made belt.  It's been about 8 months now and this belt is holding up great.  I have no doubt it will last for years.  I definitely feel your pain. 

Next

Return to Clothing