Hunting from treestand in the rain

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
HoneyHole

RE: Hunting from treestand in the rain

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Rain, snow, sleet, wind, I'M HUNTING! Some of the best hunting I've ever had was in bad weather. As for climbing trees, as long as you have enough steps to follow the 3-point rule, you are darn near  immune to falling. I don't hunt climbers, I hate them. I'd rather hang 20 chain-ons and not have to hassle with boot straps and such. It's snowing pretty good right now, I'll be out for the afternoon hunt. I'm too busy for a morning hunt. 

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:03 am

I try and stay in the stand as long as I feel it's safe.  I carry a tree umbrella for those all day drizzles.  Even with my raingear on it makes a tremendous difference and I can barely notice the sound of the raindrops hitting it compared to the rest of the woods.  I have yet to have my climber slip in the rain, when climbing up or down I take my time and make sure my platform is secure before the next move.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:07 am

Light rain is one of the best times to hunt IMO.  Helps mask noise and I believe it helps keep scent down.  Never had any issues hunting from my tree stands in the rain but I only use ladder stands.  Like others said, any sign of lightning, I'm out.  I'll also go home of the rain is real heavy.  I'm there for fun and heavy rain is not fun.

Sometimes when it rains I like to still hunt.   I'm not a great still hunter so the rain definitely seems to give me the advantage in terms of covering my noise.

Previous

Return to Tree Stands