tree saddles

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
BirdMan

RE: tree saddles

Postby BirdMan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 am

Nice deer!  How difficult is it to set this up in the dark?  I am referring to a new spot with no pre-installed steps.  Can you do this quietly and without a flashlight?  Should you buy the size that will cover you from early season (not many clothes on) to late season (looking like a big marshmallow)?  The large size is from 34"-42" and I'm a size 33" waist (normal clothing) and I'm sure a few inches larger with the winter clothing on.  Thanks.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:31 am

Birdman, I'll defer to TG on this one as I have not set mine up yet, but my guess is (and they recommend this in the video) you'd want to have your steps screwed in ahead of time..but the simple answer is if you think you can screw the steps in quietly go for it, but my experience and what i plan to do is set up the steps ahead of time with a cordless screwdriver...I'd say the only way around that would be climbing sticks or a ladder???

BirdMan

Postby BirdMan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:01 am

I see what you mean about the screw-in steps.  I think I would like the climbing sticks better (maybe the LoneWolf).  In my mind you should be able to use this setup with the sticks pretty efficiently, even in the dark.  It would add a few more pounds but would still be lighter than any stand.

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 am

birdman so far i have not had a problem in the dark but most times i checking spots as i leave from hunting and move sites then. but threw out this season i setup 5 times that i can think of in the dark and didn't have a hard time with the steps it harder for me to pick a tree some times then getting the steps up thanks rob.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:57 am

In my mind you should be able to use this setup with the sticks pretty efficiently, even in the dark

I could not agree with you more Birdman...but what I've come to find is each stand system has its own limitations, and the saddle is no different.  What the manufacturers and pros recommend is that you have several prepositioned stands with climbing steps on them...you take out the first few so that no one can use your stand (unless they happen to have their own set of climbing steps).  This way you have several options to choose from based on wind etc.  The idea being you get to your stand that morning/evening, screw in the first couple steps, climb up to ur desired height and hook-in your Saddle. 

So unless you have climbing sticks or a portable ladder with you, setting up on the fly with a saddle is probably not practical...but I'm ok with that because if for some reason i had to set up on the fly I would probably use my climber.  The plus side to the saddle for me is its light I can pack it in my pack...once I've set up several stand sights I don't need to lug a climber or hang on to them..and I don't have to buy multiple climbers or hang on's either to avoid having to carry them around.  Other advantages are being able to place the tree between you and the deer, even on the fly if the deer happens to be coming from a direction you did not expect.  I can hang on trees that have branches on them, smaller trees, and trees that aren't neccesarily straight up and down.  All of these scenarios have come up at least once or twice this season and having the saddle would have allowed me to negate each one of them...in more than one case it caused me to have to set-up in a tree that did not provide the best shot opportunity at a nice 8 point.

Hope this helps, and once I get mine setup I'll be able to speak more definatively...but Turkey Guy uses his exclusively with great success and can probably speak more to your concerns.

BirdMan

Postby BirdMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks to all for your input.  I believe I will get a saddle for next season.  It will be another great tool to maximize my odds in the woods.

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:06 am

no problem and i can't say enough about the saddle every deer hunter needs one as far as i can see, thanks rob and merry xmas all.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:04 am

I'll say this much...the guy who figures out some sort of hoist system, to basically hoist yourself into a tree with the saddle will be the king of tree stand hunters!!!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Ok I've taken a look at that website and looked at the saddles...Do these things really work?  I mean they must obviously but it doesn't look like you have a lot of mobility when you're sitting in them...Like you just hang there?  Can someone that has actually used them and tell me some candid stories they've had?  I am thinking these could come in handy in some areas where I can't hang a portable hang-on.
QDM!

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:42 am

i use it a ton this season as well as 4 of my friends tell me what details you want and i wil do my best same time i will send pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands