A few good reads

Sailfish

A few good reads

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:00 am

I just finished two books:

Working on the Edge by Spike Walker
and
Resolute by Martin W. Sandler

Working on the Edge is about the early years of the Alaskan crab bonanza.
A true story about the writers life as a crabber in the hey days of crabbing. When the crab explosion first took off. Similar to the Deadliest Catch series, however it was written years before.
A very good read. Amazing the differences back then versus now. Skippers weren't even required to have all men a survival suit (1980). It also gives a more behind the scenes view without all the "Hollywood" glamorization. But make no mistake, there is plenty of drama to be sure.
An excellent, fast, easy read.

The second book Resolute is an amazing recount of the early years of sailors attempting to find the Northwest Passage.
The Resolute was one of a slew of "ships" that went looking for the British, Franklin Expedition (1845). The Resolute was abandoned in the ice only to be found drifting 1200 miles from were she was left. Everytime you see a press conference from the oval office you see a beautiful desk. That desk was made from wood of the Resolute.
The book however isn't necessarily about just the Resolute. Reading what the British and Americans accomplished 150+ years ago is incredible. Stranded in solid ice for 1, 2, 3 years is just amazing. What adventurer's they were. To think they didn't have North Face clothing, or 2000 gram Thinsulate boots, etc. To not only survive (-70F) but to function and map out thousands of miles of coastline while looking for the passage as well as the Franklin expedition leaves me in awe.
The book is a great read. It does require lots of concentration however to keep the characters and the storyline, and sub-storylines in order, but it is well worth the mental effort.

Happy reading!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

howhill1

RE: A few good reads

Postby howhill1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:17 pm

give your heart to the hawks

its an account of the westward expansion and the nountain men who led the way.

last of the breed by louis lamour

about a native american test pilot who's plane is shot down by russia. he must then rely on his survival skills and knoweledge of the outdoors to gett across the bering strait to alaska before the russian forces hunting him catch up.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Sailfish: If you like reading about the North Country, then I would recommend James Michner's ALASKA. It is a long book, but it does cover the entire history of that area and is very engrossing.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks for the tip Woods!!

It was actual just a coincidental thing that both books had to deal with the great north.

I'm more of a sea person than anything else (sailfish), thats how I got both those books (gifts).

But interestingly that book (Alaska) was recommended to me another time as well.
Must be something to it. I don't mind big, long books especially if the writer takes my mind places in it.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Thanks for the tip Woods!!

It was actual just a coincidental thing that both books had to deal with the great north.

I'm more of a sea person than anything else (sailfish), thats how I got both those books (gifts).

But interestingly that book (Alaska) was recommended to me another time as well.
Must be something to it. I don't mind big, long books especially if the writer takes my mind places in it.

Oh...he will! You can count on that! His books are more like 4 or 5 books in one. You will also get VERY close to a lot of the characters he invents. You will have a hard time putting it down. There is also MUCH about the sea in this book also...afterall, Alaska is a coastal state.

Another one of his books that I would highly recommend is CENTENNIAL, which is about Colorado. I damn near cried when I finished that one....I didn't want it to be over!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Books/DVDs/Magazines