Is the WDNR really that bad?

lumberrick

RE: Is the WDNR really that bad?

Postby lumberrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Goose, thanks for the Welcome.  Since your a Mod and involved in this Forum.  Let me tell you, I'm already impressed.  I have been a member of the Buckmasters Bucktalk forum for 4 years.  It has totally died for some reason.  You could write a new topic, and not get a hit for several days.  The Wisconsin section is non-existent.  Good to have some interest again. 
Don't forget to wear your Obamaflage

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:09 pm

What part of the state do you hail from? I'm in the NE region.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

lumberrick

Postby lumberrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:17 pm

North Central Oneida County.  10 miles south of Eagle River, 10 miles North of Rhinelander.  Little township called Sugar Camp.
Don't forget to wear your Obamaflage

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:22 am

lumberrick, great area......Musky fishing, yahoo!!!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 pm

I second that...I'm a huge musky hunter and we took our annual musky hunting trip up there two years ago.  We were stayed just north of Minocqua.  Great area...If only I could make a living in a place like that I'd be there in a heartbeat!
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

What part of the state do you hail from? I'm in the NE region.

I'm from the west-central region.  St. Croix County!
QDM!

wack

Postby wack » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:57 am

Depends on what you mean by bad. The DNR has a lot of good programs, good ideas,  good  people, and have done a lot to bring back many bird and animal species. The bad is they don't have to power to get everything they started done.
 Wolves for example. Good plan, 350-500 wolves. Can't get it done because of the endanger species act. 560 wolves threatening to triple in numbers by this time next year. Elk, DNR wants to bring in more elk, Dept. of Agriculture stopped them. Can't get either done so now they have to lower the bear population. DNR lowered the deer numbers to make the Dept. of Ag happy but just might have over done it a little, or a lot.
 If we had just let the DNR do there job with out interference from Ag and Feds, we'd have more deer, we'd have more elk, we'd be able to sustain our population of bears and we'd be hunting wolves next year in a few areas. As it stands, we have fewer deer, we have no elk, and we are facing a wolf population that's about to explode and they're going to hand out 6,000 more bear tags next year that could nearly cut the bear population in half.
 So while I give the DNR biologists a B for sound management planning, they get a D- at best for not getting the job done.

One problem is the way this state is divided into two parts. The north woods and the rest of Wisconsin. Each has different problems and different solutions to the problems. What's good management for the north woods is not good for the rest of Wisconsin and vise versa. In short, the north woods with the addition of the wolves to our growing number of black bears, can not support the new comers. The food chain, which basically amounts to deer and small game, can not survive with man also in that food chain. Biologists say fix the food chain, been trying, have 150 elk in Clam Lake, that isn't going to cut it with 13,000 bears and 1400 wolves and what ever the current deer numbers are up there.
 Then there's the rest of the state. What I like to call our back yard petting zoo. Only nice cute critters allowed here so everyone could have a bunch of deer in there back yards. Too many deer with too many problems cutting too deep into farmers pockets and political war is waged against the deer and here we are.
 Good, bad, ugly, it's all there. Being in the lumber end of things, just curious how that looks for the future of Wisconsin? Paper mills keep laying off, shutting down, moving to China. Paper is shrinking in demand do to the computer era, and recycling. As a professional wood worker I've seen all the mom and pop wood shops disappear and can't buy materials for what Walmart sells finished products for. Then I here about insects and disease attacking our trees, what's going on from your view?  I'd say damage done from over browse of one species and lack of all other big game browsers has left our woods vulnerable to insects, invasive plant species and disease. Every missing species had a job to do and they aren't there doing it. What a shame.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Fish

Postby Fish » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 am

Buckhunter21. I used to live in St croix Cty.  just out of Somerset, 212th st.  Talk about a easy musky lake.....I can guarentee a fish each time out.  I miss it there........

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:47 am

Are you talking Deer Lake? 
QDM!

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 am

ORIGINAL: lumberrick

North Central Oneida County.  10 miles south of Eagle River, 10 miles North of Rhinelander.  Little township called Sugar Camp.

Welcome lumberrick....
Florence County here...Town of Homestead
(Florence Co., WI)

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin