Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

DeerCamp

RE: Rocky Boots. Buyer beware

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:02 am

Buddy of mine had his boots get holes in them.. He took them to Jay's and got a new pair. Then the next season same thing happend with the holes..Took em in again and got a new pair.. To me that's good that he got a new pair..But it's a hastle every time.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:54 am

Instead of complaining until your blue in the face (or you have blue toes), boycott rocky boots. I never did like rocky boots myself, they look cheaply made. I'd save my money for a pair of lacross's "burly alpha" rubber knee boots, those are 100% water proof! 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:33 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Instead of complaining until your blue in the face (or you have blue toes), boycott rocky boots. I never did like rocky boots myself, they look cheaply made. I'd save my money for a pair of lacross's "burly alpha" rubber knee boots, those are 100% water proof! 
   I will testify that Lacross boots will stand the test of time! When I was 17, I bought a pair of Lacross "Iceman" pac boots. I wore them hunting, sleding,and, to work (I'm a carpenter), thay lasted me almost twenty years(no kidding)!! The only issue I ever had with water getting in was a hole from getting caught on a nail at work!  Best pair of $70 boots I've ever owned!! I finaly had to retire them because the soles were wore smooth (kinda hard walkin in snow with "slicks")!

wack

Postby wack » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 am

paulie, before you testify, your boots may have been made in America as was Rocky boots at one time. Great boots, good American companies. Those days are over, I believe both brands are now made in China and from what I've read here and other forums, quality has taken a nosedive.

Eatdeer, your right, but not just Rocky, but rather Chinese boots in general.  I doubt I'll get anything from complaing except maybe open a few eyes and take a few sales out of there pockets and hopefully save someone else the hassle and danger of wet feet. Check the tag on those burly alpha's, where are they made?
American by birth, hunter by choice.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:20 am

I like buying gear that lasts, and 20 years is a long time. Even if they are made in China, that doesnt' take away from the quality of the boot. Personaly I'm wearing Wolverines, but they haven't held up as well, compared to the Lacross boots my friend bought at the same time.   I'm not sure where the Lacross brand is made, I believe the rubber knee high boots cost about $115 dollars.                          
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:12 am

Quite honestly, I dont know where those boots were made! I do understand what your saying though. Just because a company put out a good product in the past, that does'nt mean they still do!  The only boots "I own", that I know are made here (USA), are Red wing boots (made in Minnesota).

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:10 am

I wear 'Rockies' at work and they're comfortable.  I do not hunt with them though.  I perfer a waterproof boot which means rubber.  The latest is Cabels comfort trac which so far are ok.  I tried to order their still hunter model but they were on back order past Christmas and that was in late October.  I do own one pair of Red wings(model unknow) which are 17" high and they have fared well also but are not made of rubber and I do get some seepage if it's very wet.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:31 pm

I`ve hunted in the Rocky, Gore-Tex boots for years and love them, especially for upland hunting.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:36 am

Good thread.

I especially like the pro USA sentiments.

I regularly look for USA made stuff. It's just not possible anymore hardly. Everyone has sold out, everyone wants a good deal, the only way possible is for the Chinese to make them. Lets face it too, they have no quality control, you get what you pay for.

I have been a PENN reel fan my whole life. I have my first PENN 4/0 reel that I saved and saved for when I was 14. And guess what? I still use it EVERY offshore trip I make!!!!!!! That 30 years of hard core grouper fishing!
The majority of the PENN stuff is made in China now, and they are cheaply made but of course the price is low.

If Americans can get away from this "disposable", thrifty mentality, and pay a few extra dollars for American made stuff I think we'd have some fine products that will last. But of course, maybe thats just what the Corporations don't want.

Thanks for the tips on Rocky Boots
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 am

My two pennies,

Some are more computer savvy than others, but if you have access to the web (if you've posted to the forum you can search using google) there is no reason you cannot find and/or buy american made.

Google search that took less than a minute turned up several options.

Here is an example and one I've never heard of:

http://www.kenetrek.com/products.asp?dept=1

You can also use the web to search for complaints and legitimacy for the "Buyer Beware" aspect as well plus I'm sure some of our western folks can input on this boot as they are made in Montana and they probably know them from experience.

I myself bargain shop, but have learned the hard way on more than one occasion there are certain things you cannot skimp on. A good pair of boots is one of them among others. I don't have a good pair and my feet get cold easily so I know. I will be shopping for price (can't help it), quality (got to if I want to be comfortable) and American made (keep my countrymen employed if at all possible as m dollars are more powerful than my one vote) for the upcoming ice fishing trip and for the next hunting season.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing