Tips for getting back into shape.

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
AlleganBowhunter

Tips for getting back into shape.

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:14 pm

For the first (hopefully last ) time I am finding myself way out of shape. Until two years ago I always had a job that kept me moving, and motivated to keep myself is somewhat good shape.  I now sit behind a computer for 12 hours a day and didn't change my previous habits.  The results are me being out of shape and have no endurance. 

My goals are loose some weight, but mainly to get my wind back.  I was moving some leaves the other day with a tarp and made 3- 50 yard trips and was horribly out of breath. 

What advice can you all give to me to get back into shape.  I have a decent knowledge of how to stay in shape, but have never had to get to a position get into a condition to stay in shape.  Should I do what I know (body weight  and running/walking) at a lower rep?

Thanks in advance.
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

JPH

RE: Tips for getting back into shape.

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:07 am

First of all John, don't feel bad. We all have fitness ups and downs. The key is that you want something better for yourself. I myself in in a rebuilding phase. I was injured before hunting season and as soon as I got well, I focused all of my energy on hunting. Now that things are winding down in the woods, I am amazed at how much a 2 month break can set you back when you are pushing 40.

Okay, back to your question. I have a few basic ides that I think are fairly universal.

- Start slow. Nothing will kill your will to get back in shape like extreme muscle soreness, or worse yet, an injury.

- Cardio is a good place to start. Get your legs back under you for a week or two by doing some walk/jog/run stuff. If that's no good for you, swim, jump rope, or ride a bike. Just get your wind and your legs ready for a while.

- Train strength with body weight first. Free weights and machines are great but should not be used until a person can move their own body weight around efficiently.

- Keep your workouts short. Intensity is the key to fitness success, not quantity.

- Do "total body" exercises. There are a lot of ways that you can build strength in multiple body areas and push your cardio with basic movements. It is efficient and intense and will leave you more free time. Check out some of these ideas: http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=22014

I wish you the best in your efforts and I hope you come back and share your progress!

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness