Aerial Maps

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
dtrain56

RE: Aerial Maps

Postby dtrain56 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:34 pm

maps.live.com this site has aerial and birds eye view. best site I've found yet.

great site, it took a couple of minutes to navigate but got a great aerial photo of property

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 pm

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

looked at google earth and it did not have a very good quality photo of my area, I could not get it to zoom in enough see see my property with any detail

After 9/11 they restricted to zoom to a certain level.  Not sure if it is the same for everywhere or every site.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:52 am

No i think it is just google earth because BUSHWACKER led me to a site that had a birds eye view of the property and i also looked on terra server and they had a good view of it,

looking to get a blown up laminate of my property to keep track of movment and food plots

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:22 pm

No i think it is just google earth because BUSHWACKER led me to a site that had a birds eye view of the property and i also looked on terra server and they had a good view of it,

looking to get a blown up laminate of my property to keep track of movment and food plots

We had some signs stored on the roof where I used to work. I could zoom in on it and read the signs. Now I cant get that much zoom on either mapquest or google earth. That happend after 9/11

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:18 pm

wow didn't realize tha.t maybe within city limits????

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 pm

wow didn't realize tha.t maybe within city limits????

I live out in the country and have the same zoom on my house. Maybe it is too close to town (only 3.5 miles) There are a couple of Defense Contractors in town. That might have something to do with it.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:14 pm

There are a couple of Defense Contractors in town

that might be a good reason...

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:30 am

I live right next to the airport and I can make out the square shape of my roof on Google Earth but thats it.  Where I hunt is approx. 80 miles away and it doesen't come in any better, even after purchasing the upgraded version, so save your money and stick with the free one.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:53 am

www.maps.live.com

i really love this one
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:52 pm

I went to our local Regional Planning Commision and Map Research Technology Building/Business and asked them about getting a map of the Hunting Area we Lease.The guy in there pulled up the area I requested,moved it back and forth and zoomed in and out to cover several other Properties that surround our area and he printed out a 3 foot by 3 foot colored map with all the property Owners ground sectioned off and the name of each property owner along with colored outlines of any subdivisions,lakes streams and ponds and any county roads.I also had another map made of the same size in Black & White with the amount of acerage on each piece of property they own with roads,streams,lakes etc...outlined in different colors.The total cost was $20.00 for the colored picture and $10.00 for the Black & White photo.   

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices