sqrew in steps

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
the turkey guy

sqrew in steps

Postby the turkey guy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 am

i have a question up here in canada we can use sqrew in steps any-ware, and after reading some post here does any one know why you can't on public land in the USA. thanks and merry x mas all rob.

Goose

RE: sqrew in steps

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:22 am

I've always been under the impression that its because they damage the trees, We're not supposed to cut or trim any trees as well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:23 am

My guess, (and it is just that, a guess) is that they cause damage to the tree. here in Michigan, on "state land" (same as your"crown land"), you can not use any screws, nails, or anything else that penetrates the cambium layer of the tree, to hang your stands.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:33 am

Yeap..agree with the others, thats what we've been told in our state.  I'd also be interested i hearing how everyone actually screws these in..any tips or tricks to it?  I've ssen some use a hand corkscrew to get the hole started, I;ve also seen some use a cordless drill to make a starter hole, and I've also seen an attachment for sale that is a collar for a cordless drill that fits around the screw steps.  would be interested to hear what works best in your experience?

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:38 am

Last time I put them up, I used a cordless drill.  Worked like a champ.  First time I tried using a hammer to get them started...never again. 
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 am

Screw in steps are bad for trees. Back in the day (when I used them) I just screwed in my hand.
Today I only use climbing sticks; much faster to install, no tree damage, and safer/easier to climb than steps.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I use screw in steps and have used them for the past 18 years when I first started hunting.  When I first started hunting I'd climb a tree, screwing these in as I go w/out any harness or rope support...AND I would hang my stand up this way as well.  Not times have changed and I've gotten wiser and I use a harness which allows me to use both of my hands when I climb the tree as well as put the stand up.  I just screw them in with my hands...Don't use anything else! 

Also, I haven't seen any real damage to the trees that I use either, so I'm not sure what kind of affect they have?! 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:58 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

I use screw in steps and have used them for the past 18 years when I first started hunting.  When I first started hunting I'd climb a tree, screwing these in as I go w/out any harness or rope support...AND I would hang my stand up this way as well.  Not times have changed and I've gotten wiser and I use a harness which allows me to use both of my hands when I climb the tree as well as put the stand up.  I just screw them in with my hands...Don't use anything else! 

Also, I haven't seen any real damage to the trees that I use either, so I'm not sure what kind of affect they have?! 

Im with you 21,

Ive always used these steps and never saw any real damage to the trees. some have been in trees for 5-7yrs and the nothing has happened to the trees?

Do people think that these steps actually kill the trees?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Its also illegal to use them here in Conn., but only on state owned lands. From what I am told... the use of the screw in steps as well as any nails, spikes, screws etc., even though they don't damage the trees, they sometimes are forgotten and left in a tree and they could cause injury to the forester that cuts that tree down if he hits it with his saw. And also if that doesn't happen and the tree gets to the saw mill it could then possibly cause serious injury if the blade were to hit one and shatter, or in the very least, ruin the blade. 

the turkey guy

Postby the turkey guy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:06 am

thanks shadow that make since as for steps in trees i would say no as i have had some step in trees for ten years where the tree grows around the step thanks again rob.

Next

Return to Tree Stands