Marlin or Puma?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
8uck5nort

Marlin or Puma?

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 am

Looking at possibly getting a .44 mag lever action. Also need a scope recommendation.

The rifle must fire pistol cartridges to be legal in my state for deer hunting (I know doesn't make sense, we can use a 30-06 to squirrel hunt [why you would wnat to is ???] or coyote hunt, but not deer hunt) so that is why I am looking at this type and style.

If anyone knows of a good single shot in the same caliber would be interested in that feedback as well. I have seen the NEF handi rifle, but don't have any experience with them.

I'm looking for inexpensive (400 bucks or so), reliable, easy to clean and mainitain.

Anyone have opinions/experience here. New to both in this caliber and type of rifle.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

beagleman23

RE: Marlin or Puma?

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 am

The 44 would be my cloice if stuck with an actual pistol round.  The 460 S&W would be much better but I don't know of any production in that caliber in a lever action.  A single shot in a TC Encore or G2 might be a possibility but not for $400.  I think Ruger made or makes a lever in the 44 but I have no idea what the price would be but they make a quality product.  If your not going to handload the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo would be a good starting point.
As far as a scope I don't  go crazy or cheap out.  I like Burris and Nikon glass and both offer a type of ballistic plex or BDC to give you and idea of trajectory but have Leupolds on both my slug guns because of their heavy duplex.  Good luck.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply Beagleman.

I am not a gun guy by any stretch. I have few shotguns (.410 and 12 ga), .50 cal ML, and a couple of .22 for plinking/squirrel/rabbit. I am not familiar with the 460 S&W. Is that a pistol or rifle cartridge.

Since I have to use pistol cartridges in a rifle to hunt deer I was thinking of (later down the road) getting a pistol of the same caliber. My line of thinking is I could use the same ammo in both and maybe save a buck or two in the long run.

The other long term goal here is take both out west on a hunting trip one to take game and the other for self defese. That will also scale back on the number of different ammo I would need to lug around in the back country. (Hope to do some bear or elk/moose hunting one day).

federali

Postby federali » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 am

I'm not familiar with Puma but Marlin enjoys a well-deserved reputation of making a quality firearm at a reasonable price. Also, I've seen many Marlin 336s in .35 Remington Cal. that could outshoot bolt actions at 100 yards. Ruger made a lever action .44 that has since been discontinued. While there are more potent handgun calibers available now, I've never heard of anyone having problems anchoring a whitetail with a .44 Magnum provided its range limitations were respected. Also, the .44 Mag. cartridge is well established and you'll generally find loaded ammo anywhere.

Check gunbroker.com and you'll find some .44 lever action carbines.

As for a scope: the Hubble telescope does not belong on a .44 carbine of any kind. I happen to love the low end variables, 1-4X, 1.5-5X. The Bushnell Banner is a very decent scope for under $100.00. It's no Leupold or Kahles but a very good scope for the money. Also, do not hesitate to use a shotgun scope on a .44. The difference in parallex correction is of no consequence as the effective range of the .44 and a saboted shotgun slug is about the same.

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree, Marlin makes a very nice(and affordable) lever gun. I also own a model 336 in 35.rem(great gun). As far as a scope is concerned, I would say, do a little research, and buy the best one "you can afford"! When it comes to optics, It does not pay to "go cheap". Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you have to drop a ton of money to get a decent scope. I'm just sayin you dont want a "bargin scope". I also agree, a low power(1-7)would be fine for the 44.mag. If you want to increase your range a bit, you can look into the Hornady "lever evolution" ammo.

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 pm

You know, you may be able to find a nice "package deal" (rifle and scope). Just a thought.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:27 pm

A Marlin 44 Mag lever is about as far as you have to think.   The one other classic in 44 Mag is the old Ruger semi-autos. 

Federali is right on the Bushnell Banner scope. I have several mounted on various rifles and shotguns.

44 Mag has about the same stopping power as a 30-30. It's main problem is distance. Due to the greater frontal area of the bullet, the velocity drops of quicker.  However, if you're taking the majority of your deer inside 80 yards, it won't make any difference.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 am

I have registerd at gunbroker and am looking for a FFL holder in the area.

There is a Puma package deal up for bid that looks interesting otherwise pickings look a little slim at the moment.

Anyone used gunbroker? Anything I should look out for?

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 am

I belong to gunbroker & haven't heard of any issues. Good luck with your search.

Return to Guns and Ammo