Compound Bow Sights

whitacl

Compound Bow Sights

Postby whitacl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 am

Looking for any good information you would be willing to share here.  I have never used sights and am considering what to look for to buy one for next season.
Ohio BBH

Goose

RE: Compound Bow Sights

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:08 am

Whats your price range and how many pins do you want?
Off of the bat I'd recommend G5's optix xr. awesome sight with three set pins and a floater for long range practice.
http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_optixxr
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Off of the bat I'd recommend G5's optix xr. awesome sight with three set pins and a floater for long range practice.

Thats a sweet looking sight, I love the floater pin concept with the ability to dial in your yardage!  Little pricey though, but I'm sure its worth it.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:13 pm

One thing to consider is the size of your pins. I use a Sword sight with seven .019 size pins. I practice at long distances, & bigger pins seem to cover up too much of the target/bullseye. If you use a peep, a round pin guard on the sight will help you have a consistant sight picture by centering your guard in the peep sight.
Dave M.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:20 pm

There are many things to look at.
How many pins,size of pins ( you can switch out some pins so that you have bigger ones for closer shots and smaller ones for longer shots), do you want a level, do you want 3rd axis adjustment, do you want it to light up, does weight matter, do you want vibration suppressors in it?
Or do you want just a single pin basic sight?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:45 am

The D&DH March 2009 issue has an article on chosing a sight, pages 55-56.
Dave M.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Wow!  That one is too rich for my blood.

I switched to a Cobra sight a few years ago and love it.  You definitely want a sight with a fiberboptic loop that gathers light.

Something like this.  $60 price range.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Sights/Cobra_Sights/Cobra_Boomslang_LT_Right_Hand_Lost/Page_1/SIG3187908.html
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

whitacl

Postby whitacl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks for helping me get on my way.  I am lookig at spending about $50-$90.  I would like 3 -5 pins.  And would like to stay as light as possible.  I currently shoot traditional, no sights no release.  I have never used a release or a sight.  I have shoot like this since i could pull back a bow.

I shoot a Bowtech Old Glory set at 62 lbs.

Any suggestions on sights?
Ohio BBH

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:44 am

Thats a nice sight as well, you should be able to find a good sight no matter your price range.
On a side note, the more fiber optic you have like the one patriot showed with 3 feet the brighter they should be.
I would make sure the fiber optic strand and pins are well protected because they can break easily on branches or whatever.
i currently use the trophy ridge 3 pin matrix which has vertical pins but I will eventually move up to the g5. My brother has the g5 and it is an awesome sight but as stated it is expensive. I shoot all year long including a league so I get alot of use out of a sight and depend on durability.

http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V3/ this is 2009's model of mine I have the 08 model
Jake

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 am

I like the trophy ridge sights. they have a lot to choose from. for $50 you can get a 3 pin, its the flatliner model. they also have a 5 pin flatliner. Then for a little more money, they have 3 and 5 pin guide series. same as the flatliner, but painted camo and they have some vibration dampeners in them. they also have a threaded hole to add a light to light up the pins for low light. the pins stay lit very well though, i never need to use the light. the pins are verticle in-line, so they take up less area in the sight picture. if it does get kinda dark, the inline pins can be kind of rough. you cant see the pins, you just see one long dark post sticking up in the sight picture. however, from my experience, by the time it gets that dark, its too dark to shoot anyway, and so it really doesnt matter much. i also like those trophy ridges because the pins dont need tools to be adjusted. they have a little locking lever that keeps them in place, and you can do it all with your fingers, no allen wrenches. you still need a wrench to adjust the entire sight up/down and side to side, but each individual pin adjustment needs no tools. thats really handy for fine-tuning the pins.
i used a tru glo sight a couple years back, was very un-impressed with the durability. i perhaps just had a bad experience, so I'm not saying not to buy one. but i bought one that was broken right out of the package. i returned it to the company instead of the store, and they sent me a new, upgraded model, which was very nice. i was very happy with the customer service. but that sight was also broken right out of the package. so since then, i havent bought any more tru-glo sights. I had a cobra sight before that, that one i had no complaints about. it was several years ago, so I dont know what model it was.
i would look for a sight with a good amount of fiber optic with each pin, at least a couple inches worth. the more the better, it gathers more light. also go with a round pin guard, makes it a lot easier to use with a peep sight if you use one.
i use a .019 pin, but i like the .029 size better. they do cover up a little more target at long distances, but for hunting, it doesnt seem to hurt anything. i have a problem with the .019 pins just being a little too small for my eyes to see. the pin gets really blurring sometimes, and other times under certain light, it disappears all together. i never have those problems with the .029 sized pins, so that is something to consider. the smaller pin is good for precision target shooting, but for hunting, i personally think the larger .029 pins are a little easier to use.
just about all sights are really light, so I wouldnt worry too much about weight. its kind of the industry standard these days. if you want to compete, you have to make light weight accessories, so most companies make their sights as light as they can. if youre looking to spend 50-90 dollars, you can find a real good quality sight in that range. good luck.

Next

Return to Misc. Accessories