Sheds?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
Patriot

Sheds?

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 am

Has anyone found any sheds from this year yet?  I know it's probably a bit early, but I understand bucks will drop their antlers from late Dec to late March.

I know I'll be out in earnest come mid February.

As always, feel free to show pics. 

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

mveniot

RE: Sheds?

Postby mveniot » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:47 am

Shot my deer last day of the season, December 15 (Ontario), a nice big doe(so I thought). When I went to check the deer out and put my tag on the deer, it turned out to be a young buck which had just lost it antlers ( still had blood on the skull plate).
It is common here to find bucks who had lost their antlers in December.
Have to wait until snow is off the ground, we have about 16 inches. Might find some around deer feeders.

curtis

Postby curtis » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:33 am

I shot in a buck on Dec. 29 in Southern Ohio with a muzzleloader. I had seen this deer several times throughout the year, he was very wide, tall, and massive with a 5in droptine on his right side. When walked up to him I instantly got sick because he had already lost his right side. His head was still wet with blood from losing the shed.  DOSE THAT GIVE ANY INDICATION OF HOW LONG AGO HE MAY HAVE DROPPED  IT?  Hoping he just droped it and its close by. Would have scored close to 180's

curtis

Postby curtis » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 am

pics

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:14 pm

Curtis that's a great looking deer. I hope you find the shed. If the blood was still wet he probably dropped not long before you shot him. Good luck.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 am

Curtis,
Awesome, awesome deer!  Thanks for backing up your story with the nice photos.  If it were me, I'd spend as many waking hours as possibile searching for the shed.

...and welcome to the forum.

Please also post your pic and story here:  Post your 2008 Harvest Pics!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:36 am

Congrats on your buck! Hes a stud! I too am thinking that he just dropped it and it looks like in the pic there is no snow so you might find it! Good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Wow.... Great deer !!
I would get a search party going on.  Get 5 friends and walk.
Not sure if its private land or not....you don't want porcupines or mice...whatever chewing at
it during the winter.  Or losing it by another hunter.

Congrats again.

Did it had both of them when you shot it ?
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

curtis

Postby curtis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:54 pm

NO, he did not have his right side on when i shot him, but i think it had fell recently because his base was still tacky wet with blood where it had fell. Hopefully to find it real soon. Id say we got close to 100 man hours looking, its getting very frustrating. His left leg had been shot 6inches off the hoof. Im not sure how far we should be searching from where i killed him, would his leg limit his travel routine and how long do you figure the shed had been off??????????????????

curtis

Postby curtis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 pm

My taxidermists called and said he thought it may go close to 200'' depending on the droptine on his right side, he said he scored left side at 91 1/2".

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign