Shed hunting

Goose

RE: Shed Hunting

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Haven't gotten out looking yet but I do plan on going sometime this week. Will let you know how it goes.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm

I haven't gone out looking for sheds yet and will probably wait until late February or March. Last year I waited until most of the snow was gone and then started looking. I will be snowmobiling most of the time now so I won't have much time for sheds. Good luck to those of you who go out now.
Kyle

b phat

Postby b phat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Havent went out yet but my buddy shot a deer last week and had all ready shed them. first bow kill and no horns

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh no.  That's too bad.[:'(]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 am

That is to bad, but at least he got the deer!

BWB maybe you'll get one stuck in your ski!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Find some sheds? Share the pics and stories here.

Is this the main thread we should use for shed pics....or is it reserved for the Wisconsin folks?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 am

I was thinking for WI, but as always your more than welcome !
Jake

lumberrick

Postby lumberrick » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 am

Goose. Since you started this thread,I have a set of sheds I found 2 years ago, that are enormous for Northern Wisconsin.  It is a perfect pair from a 15 pointer.  One shed measures 83 inches, the other 79 inches.  It had about a 20 inch spread based on trail cam photos I have of the same deer, bringing it to a total of 182 inches.  This deer was shot the following fall, and word has it that it scored 213.  I also have a few pictures of it days before it was shot.  I will study up on how to post pics and submit them.
Don't forget to wear your Obamaflage

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 am

I dont do it to often.. I use to do it all the time with not much luck.. To tell ya the truth, the 1st time I went out I found 3 and then after that I never found another one. I kinda gave up.. But I should start to do it again.. Anyone have any tips?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am

Lumberrick, thats a great story and I look forward to the pics.

Deercamp, I am no pro shed hunter but Ill tell you what Ive read or learned. Walk known buck bedding areas. South facing ridges(deer bed on this side to take advantage of the sun),walk known feeding areas,and walk the trails leading to and from these spots. I enjoy doing this because its a great learning experience, sure the deer may not be doing what they were in November but you still see how they use the lay of the land and rubs still stick out like a sore thumb. You might also discover some new or different bedding areas along the way.
I use it as another way to scout.

I did a little walking today in a known bedding area and on the trails leading to and from it. No luck finding any sheds but I think I found a new spot for a stand.
Found an area with lots of rubs and other sign. Looks like the bucks roam this side of the bedding area when the wind is right.
Didn't have a whole lot of time today but I might go out to a different spot tomorrow.
Jake

Next

Return to Florida