How far ahead......

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunter480

How far ahead......

Postby hunter480 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:51 pm

We have a front forecast to move thru Central Indiana with a couple inches of snow forecast, with the snow beginning Saturday night/Sunday morning.

My question is this.....knowing that deer activity should increase ahead of the approaching front, how far ahead will it likely begin to increase in activity?  I intend to hunt Saturday morning, so, is that far enough ahead of the front to expect more deer movement? Or will the movement likely be closer to the time the front comes thru?

Jawbone

RE: How far ahead......

Postby Jawbone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:07 pm

I've had my best luck as close to, during, and directly after a front.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:50 pm

I'd stay out all day.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:59 pm

ive always felt that the closer to the front the better ie: the day ,evening,or morning before. but i also will spend every waking moment in the woods that i can whenever i can.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:52 am

I would agree with the majority. I see it pickup right before the front. If theres snow forecast for the night I try to make sure I'm out there that evening. Then after the front as well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Sunday morning, that fresh snow will be smokin!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:35 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

We have a front forecast to move thru Central Indiana with a couple inches of snow forecast, with the snow beginning Saturday night/Sunday morning.

My question is this.....knowing that deer activity should increase ahead of the approaching front, how far ahead will it likely begin to increase in activity?  I intend to hunt Saturday morning, so, is that far enough ahead of the front to expect more deer movement? Or will the movement likely be closer to the time the front comes thru?

hunter480,
This occurred over a month ago.  Can you remember how it went?  What did you observe?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 am

I hunt in the Northern/Central Indiana. If memory serves (at 41 you can never take that for granted) The front moved through overnight Saturday night/Sunday morning. Things started real slow Saturday morning. The majority of the deer moved right at sunset Saturday where we were at. This particular weekend was the last time we (my son and I) saw antlered deer during this 08/09 season. Again if memory serves we were back out Sunday morning in ground blind and saw deer (some does and I think one small buck) when it was snowing. (Will have to go back and read some posts to make sure).
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Right after a front has always been a hot time to be in the woods for me.

Xplorer

Postby Xplorer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: vambo991

Sunday morning, that fresh snow will be smokin!

Lucky you. I live in Pa. where we still live in the dark ages-no Sunday hunting [&o]

Next

Return to Best Practices