What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 am

Simple question. What kind of things do you do to get or keep yourself in shape before/during/after hunting season? Do you workout at a gym with weights or a treadmill? Do you run races? To you compete in a sport? Do you do a lot of physical work on your land or at your job? Do you chase your kids? You wife or husband? Do you run from them?

Okay I'll stop. I'm just curious what everyone does out there.

Patriot

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:11 am

I'm an out of shape 5 foot 11 inches and 208 pounds.

Gonna (attempt) to cut out the late evening snacks for starters.  Gotta get in shape for softball season!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Well Im 5'11" and at a very unhealthy 268 and i need to loose the weight big time, i gained 40+ lbs this last year from being on some pills for some personal reasons, and i also just totally abondoned any sort of respectable eating habits, i plan on cutting down on portion size, giving up pop all together, if i do drink any it will be diet, not eating after 9pm, no fast food, and as much as i hate running/excersising i prob will end up TRYING to do so after/before class since its free for students. And a buddy and i are putting some QDM tactics in place on our land we hunt and hopefully that will help slim me down some and build my back muscles up some. I want to be back at the 220's at least by opening day bow (oct 1st.) and work my way down to 200 when its all said and done. That would be cool to get t0 200 by oct 1st but i will be satisfied with 220 or so by oct 1st.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Awesome guys! I am glad to see that you have set some goals and I hope this is a resource to help you get it done.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 pm

My wife is telling me she wants to lose 208 pounds.....funny thing she's barely 125.[:D][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I am 5' 6" and was weighing 224 so i went on weight watchers with my mom. I wound up losing around 30 pounds in about 4 months. I have kinda slipped off it for awhile and put some back on but am starting back up to try to finally get to my goal of 170. only 30 more pounds to go.

coach

Postby coach » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm

LOL  Patriot my wife is the same way.

Myself...I'm 5'11....190 lbs.
I play hockey, I love walking the bush....spring, fall and winter......and take care of my kids.
I love to cook....and I love my poutine...( not sure if you know what poutine is)  but my wife needs her veggies.
I'm not on a diet....but I do watch what I eat.

I have to stay in shape....I play with a bunch of Hockey Pros.....and I'm the worse one. 

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 pm

I wish i was decent at hockey coach, i used to play when i was younger but lost it after a while, sounds fun tho!! I play in a softball league in the spring and fall, but thats nothing compared to a good ol' hockey game!!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm 6 foot tall 190 lbs. I usually do a lot of cardio since I normally do a lot of lifting and repititive jobs and work it kinda balances itself out.  I normally run about 3 miles 4 to 5 times a week, but haven't hit it a lick since the bowseason opener. I plan on getting back in my routine this week.  I also plan on cutting out the late snacks and beer, which was next to impossible with the college bowl season and all.  One game left and the beer fridge is empty, no better time than the present.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 am

First of all, I am not a fitness guru. I am not an accomplished athlete. I am not an impressive physical specimen.

I am an average guy with a lifelong interest in sports/fitness. I am a certified trainer (but it was a gimmie course). I am in a profession that attracts competitive, athletic people (it also has a way of turning them into couch potatoes, but that's for another forum).

Because of the people I am on the job with, I have had the chance to workout with a national bench press champion, an NFL cornerback, a track All-American, a UFC fighter, two Army Rangers, and a whole host of other bad ass men and women. I am not ashamed to say that every one of them destroyed me in the gym (in fact I have an appointment to roll Jiu-Jitzu with one of the Rangers and the track star today [:@]). But they have all taught me a lot. Far more than the silly PT class.

My personal workout style is designed to provide general physical preparedness (GPP) and increased work capacity. To me GPP means equal measuers of strength, speed, power, endurance, agility and flexability. I mix various movements into each routine to try to cover those bases. I use calestinics, running, weights, heavy bag, wrestling and a lot of non-traditional stuff such as sandbags and tractor tires. If you have ever watched any films of MMA fighters conditioning, that is my style. Only I look a LOT less impressive doing it. [:D]

I keep my workouts, short and intense. 45 minutes is a long session for me. I try to hit it 3-6 times a week.

I have attached a photo of myself in the gym.

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness