New Christmas Tradition

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
JPH

New Christmas Tradition

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Today is the Feast of the Epiphany. By tradition it is the day to take down a Christmas tree.

My 8 year old daughter is very concerned about anything in nature going to waste. She even inspects my deer carcasses for left over meat. She made me promise that our tree would come to good use after we got done with it in our home, so we came up with a little idea.

Today we took the tree out into our woodlot and propped it up near a brush pile. We coated much of it in peanut butter, hung carrots in the branches. Then we sprinkled corn and bird seed over the peanut butter and set a feeder bucket under it. Before we left we set out a scouting camera to watch over it.

I wanted her to see that we can create little pockets of habitat and it can be used by all kinds of wildlife. It was a little thing, but we left with a good feeling and we are looking forward to seeing what comes to the camera.

I'll post pics when I get them. 

Goose

RE: New Christmas Tradition

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:05 pm

I look forward to the pics. Thats cool that you stuff like that with your kids, someday they will look back at it and smile as will you.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woody

Postby Woody » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Great idea JPH! Looking forward to the pics. Always neat to hear people getting there kids involved with the outdoors and wildlife..
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:15 pm

mmmm....I've never hear of the Feast of the Epiphany.  Interesting.

Us Baptists arent' aware of such things I guess.[:D]

Looking forward to the pics of course.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

mmmm....I've never hear of the Feast of the Epiphany.  Interesting.

Us Baptists arent' aware of such things I guess.[:D]

LOL! We have LOTS of Feast Days. I only know the big ones. Have to look the rest of them up. [;)]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:41 pm

That sounds like a great idea JPH! I cant wait to see the pics.. I wish I could do somthing like that here, but I have a feeling that would some called baiting, which is no longer allowed in my state :(.. It would be nice to see all the wildlife around tho.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:58 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

That sounds like a great idea JPH! I cant wait to see the pics.. I wish I could do somthing like that here, but I have a feeling that would some called baiting, which is no longer allowed in my state :(.. It would be nice to see all the wildlife around tho.

Funny you mention that.

A lot of guys I know do supplemental feeding in the winter, but I worry about it. Not b/c of the "baiting" issue but b/c of disease transmission concerns.

I have asked both the Iowa and Missouri DNR's but neither advised against it. This is the first time I have ever put out a feeder of any type and I'm guessing that it will just be a once a year thing.

Since the MDC did not have an issue, I thought getting my daughter involved in conservation was worth the risk.

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:44 pm

If it's not an area you are hunting is it really baiting?I think it is a great idea and can't wait for the pics.

jdsbuckfever

Postby jdsbuckfever » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 pm

i think that is a great idea. here in missouri you can put out feed as long as the season is over and you have to remove the feeder 10 days before the season starts

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements