Land Management

Goose

Land Management

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Got a question or have some input on land management in Wisconsin?
Post here and share your knowledge on food plotting, hinge cutting, clear cutting, planting trees, pond building and anything else to do with land management.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

RE: Land Management

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Well, we're in Waushara county which is pretty sandy and acidic from all the pines. It gets pretty dry at times but we still are gonna do all we can to put in some plots.
We have a 4 acre destination field that we're gonna try to plant RR soybeans and then a little later either sugar beets or turnips.
We also are gonna convert some old logging Rd's into "hunting plots" don't know what we're gonna plant so I'm open to suggestions. These plots will have more shade than sun so that might factor in.
We're also gonna try to put a plot in along a marsh so it'll be more wet in this location. I'm thinking some kind of clover here so we don't have to get the tractor buried every year. Any ideas on this are also welcome.

We'll also be planting some pines for cover and hinge cutting in one area for more cover.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Here in Sauk County we have great soil and mostly farm fields. Some of our good friends who farm run our land and plant alfalfa, oats, and corn. I wish they would plant beans one of these years. We are thinking about asking them to leave a corn field up all winter so the deer have a winter food source. The crops are on a rotation so some years we don't always get the corn where we want it, but thats ok.

In the coming years we are thinking about putting in some small food plots. Also, there is an open pasture on our land that has a small stream running through it and is surrounded by woods and a bedding area. At the moment one of the neighbors put his cattle in from May through October which keeps the grass down so you can see everywhere. However, we were thinking about putting a corn field in the pasture and leaving it up all year. Years ago the pasture was fields so the soil is good. The advantage would be having corn year round as a winter food source near 1 of our stands and a ground blind. The disadvantage would be the pasture would be all grown up and full of thistles and multi-flora rose.(hate that stuff)

What do you guys think?

Kyle

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:25 am

Goose we planted our logging roads with clover, works great always see deer on the road along with plenty of grouse. I dont know what to plant around the marsh we were going to try and plant a plot in a marsh area aswell but were told by the guys at biologic if it gets too wet nothing will grow there. So it that area stays too wet you might not get anything to grow there.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:31 am

BWB thats sounds like a good idea, sounds like a good spot and the cover wont hurt anything!

Schlupis- What kind of clover did you plant and I would assume your trails are shaded as well? These logging roads are in pine plantations so the soil is gonna need some lime for sure I'm thinking and wont receive a whole lot of sun.
Jake

wack

Postby wack » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 am

A great place to start for food plots is Kester's seeds on HWY 116 between Omro and Winneconne. They've got a large variety of different seeds for all kinds of wildlife. I've been going there for years for parrot seed and wildlife food plot seed and have been very happy with the prices, results and advice they've given. They ship seed all over the world and grow most of there seeds right here in Wisconsin at a fraction of the price some of the big national brands cost. My parrot seed mix costs less than 1/2 of what pet shops charge and I get better seed.
 For those sandy soils and low light pine logging roads they have a couple mixes to try that worked real well for me. The clover mix I used came with an anoculator powder and complete instructions on how to prepare the ground, treat the seeds, and get everything gowing. (One note for those who want to try is the clover mix should be mowed a couple times a year to keep it healthy.)
 They've been around a long time, I've personally have been buying parrot seed from them since 1992 and have never had a complaint. From food plots to pond/water plants to all kinds of bird seed, give them a try. http://www.kestersnursery.com/WebSite%2 ... age353.htm

American by birth, hunter by choice.

bowhunter53

Postby bowhunter53 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:52 am

I have purchased seed from Kesters several times over the years and would also recommend them, prices are good and they are very helpful. They have a booth at the deer and turkey expo in Madison every year. 

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:46 am

Guys,

Thanks for the tip I'll look up Kesters at the Deer and Turkey Expo the first weekend in April.  I have been using Jay-Mar out of Plover/Waupaca, but always on the look out for other ideas.
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:29 am

thanks for the recommendation, we used Greenville co-op last year and I would not recommend them. They wanted nothing to do with us non-farmers.
Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Being last year was the first year we put in some plots, I never really looked super hard for a co-op in my area for foot plot seed.  I used Biologic and Whitetail Institute.  Has anyone used both the co-op seed and the mainstream seed and has info on the differences?  Be appreciated.  Maybe I'll try Kester's this year!
QDM!

Next

Return to Wisconsin