Anyone else really hoping it will dry up enough to get the corn crop out - AND the deer out of it?

wolfcliff

Anyone else really hoping it will dry up enough to get the corn crop out - AND the deer out of it?

Postby wolfcliff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:02 am

It just seems where i'm hunting in Jersey county that everything picks up when the corn is out and it seems the deer just do all the running and rutting in it. If it doesn't stay dry for a few days here I'm gonna start putting cameras in the corn and that would be about the only way to get a mature bucks picture during shooting light. Anyone else in my shape here?
Hopefully picked by Thurs - I have vacation time scheduled for hunting the rut
Cliff

8uck5nort

RE: Anyone else really hoping it will dry up enough to get the corn crop out - AND the deer out of it?

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:28 am

Hey neighbor. We have same prob in Indiana. Live about 40 miles form the Ill/Ind state line. Lots and lots of standing corn. It is really masking what is going on. Hoe this weeks dryer weather holds.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Lot to Learn 2

RE: Anyone else really hoping it will dry up enough to get the corn crop out - AND the deer out of it?

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Hey clliff, I am just up in Greene county.  The farm I get to hunt had beans last year and it was so wet he went with beans again this year. I was complaining to myself until now. Beans still in now is a good thing. I am wondering if any of the crops are coming out before the freeze. 

wolfcliff

Postby wolfcliff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Really picking up now finally getting some good pics. Looks like it might dry up enough to get the corn out by this weekend hopefully !!!!
Good luck fellas' let the rut run ! Sit long and stick em where it counts !
Cliff

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 am

you too brother. I posted on another forum they got the corn out last night at one place I get to hunt. the other is beans and the farmer is in FL until this weekend, so I still get to hunt over standing beans for a few more days.  Trying to sneak out this afternoon. 

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:51 pm

As 8uck5nort said, we have the same late crops in Indiana. As the old saying goes, If you can't beat it, join it. The farm that I hunt is 95% crop land and the farmer is usually the very last in the area to get his corn out. It actually benefits me because I then have some of the best cover/food source. Some of the grassed waterways have excellent trails through them...if you can stand to sit on the ground (I can). My farmer just "wrecked" his combine, so he is sure to be last again this year.

wolfcliff

Postby wolfcliff » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 am

Yea that sounds like a great idea , and even maybe in the corn itself. The farmer went and did a test strip I guess to test the moisture content. so there are some cut sections on the end and throught the middle.

Plus I scored for archery just waiting for shotgun to open.

Cliff

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am

another nice deer, good job. I am a slacker. 

Return to Illinois