What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Demoderby4

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:13 pm

love the pictures guys lol! I think it would be a lot of fun to learn how to box/kickbox, learn jiu jitsu and other mma type stuff. im thinking of joining a gym about 15 mins away its really cheap (300/yr) since im a full time student and still live at home, they have swimming pools and all sorts of classes you can take all for free with the membership, im really thinking about it, all i know i gotta act on it and not think about it so much, but im juggling the idea in my head.

Deerhunter713- I had the Boston Lager once, i could barely get it down lol, idk what it was about it, i guess its just not for me, i like the winter lager and sam adams light tho.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

JPH,

I have been training jiu jitsu for several years(purple belt) and MMA as well (Just train dont fight, only grappling competition). lately I have just been doing the submission grappling since it is closer to home. It is hands down the best workout you will ever get! I also play hockey which is a good work out as well, but grappling is a cardio/muscle workout for your whole body!

how did the grappling go? JPH by flying gogoplata!!!!!

I am a real armature and will most likely stay that way b/c it is so hard to squeeze a regular class into my life. I roll with other guys who know a little when we can get together, nothing formal. Like you said, it is a top notch workout.

As for the other day, I was running late. By the time I got there the track star had injured his back lifting and the Ranger had to get home to take care of his kids. So we did not roll, but I talked trash as they were leaving (i waited until they had changed into street clothes). I ended up loosing a split decision to the heavy bag.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

love the pictures guys lol! I think it would be a lot of fun to learn how to box/kickbox, learn jiu jitsu and other mma type stuff. im thinking of joining a gym about 15 mins away its really cheap (300/yr) since im a full time student and still live at home, they have swimming pools and all sorts of classes you can take all for free with the membership, im really thinking about it, all i know i gotta act on it and not think about it so much, but im juggling the idea in my head.

I am not big on commercial gyms, but they do hold you accountable. You have got to get committed to something! I want to see someposts rolling in from you about how you are kicking ass and feeling great.

Keep and eye on the exercise of the week thread. There will be a lot of stuff you can do there that will be  quick and easy to do at home. Plus, if you want I can PM you a short gymless routine that you can begin doing with no equipment right away.

Let me know. I seriously willing to do whatever it takes.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Well atleast you got the trash talk in, its an art in itself and an excellent workout. In an earlier post you said you had a chance to work out with a guy in the UFC, who was that? haha that heavy bag can be relentless, it takes an old George Foreman approach, it lets you punch yourself out and then makes its comeback!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

When I was in high school I was into playing football and wrestling. Between the two sports I spent a lot of time in the gym and a far amount of time running the back country roads of WI. I was in excellent shape back in those days. I was 6ft tall and weighed in at a huge 160lbs.[8|] I was however, able to bench press 290lbs squat 415lbs, and clean 215lbs. I went to college and fell out of the exercise routine.

In the last year I have gotten back into lifting weights again, lucky for me the place I work at has a very nice gym with pretty much every kind of work out machine you would need for all the different muscles. I started out weighing 170lbs when I began lifting a year ago. I was in the gym this evening after work and weighed myself and I am now 183lbs. My goal was to add muscle mass and hit 180lbs, so I accomplished that and I am happy about it.

My place of employment is starting a fitness challenge at the end of this month. It will last for three months and who ever losses the most body fat, not weight, but body fat percentage will win the competition. My plan now is to try and cut my body fat percentage in half while still gaining muscle mass. This challenge I believe will get me fired back up to really start lifting hard again. Sometimes I find myself just going through the motions in the weight room and not challenging myself to lift harder and heaver weights. I am also planning on adding cardio into my workout to help aid in cutting my body fat percentage down. I am in no means fat but I do miss the six pack I had back in high school. [;)]

JPH, I just purchased some whey protein and creatine, I have never used supplements before but I hear from every lifter out there that they really help in producing muscle mass. What do you think about supplements?

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 am

In an earlier post you said you had a chance to work out with a guy in the UFC, who was that?

His name is Kevin Burns. It should be easy to find clips of him b/c he suffered a huge KO in the UFC recently. In fact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUUu2_x3lM
I attended his class a few times.

Of all the people I mentioned, he is the only one who is not actually on the job. I met him via another FF who is a member of his gym. Really cool guy.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:47 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

JPH, I just purchased some whey protein and creatine, I have never used supplements before but I hear from every lifter out there that they really help in producing muscle mass. What do you think about supplements?

Well I am way out of my element on this one, but I have experimented with them a little.

I think the whey protein is good stuff for muscle development. I am not so much into mass, but I have used it to develop a few lean pounds.

The creatine is something I have never used. From what I understand it really works, but is something you really have to keep an eye on. Drink lots of water.

I take a multi-vitamin, omega 3 fish oil and gluecosamine daily. I swear by all of them (at least if you are 37). I have also taken L-glutamine for recovery and it too is great stuff.

Beyond that, I know nothing about supplements, except this. If we ate the way we were supposed to, we would never need them.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:06 am

I spend an hour every morning in the gym, five days a week.  It's at our college so it's free.

Alternate days - upper body/lower body weight training.  Spend about 25 minutes at the end of each session on the treadmill or eliptical for cardio.

Unless it's deer season, then I'm not so good. Usually stop lifting and stick with cardio.  Injured my shoulder once lifting a couple months before bow season, nearly cost me the hunting.  Won't do that again.

I'm still overweight - poor eating habits - but probably in better shape than most overweight people.

I've tried the protein powders - spent nearly a year drinking them, but they really didn't help that I could tell.  I think you probably have to work out a lot harder than most amature gym rats are willing to before they do any good.  Still if you find one you like, probably better for you than a lot of other drinks that are high in sugar.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 am

JPH,

Thats awesome you had a chance to work out with him. Hes a real good fighter. Does he train and MFS? and how far away from MFS are you?

Nubs,

Everyone has their own opinion on whey protein and creatine. By the sounds of it you are familiar with the gym. For me personally, whey made me not as sore after lifting. I was getting bigger but I cant confirm if the whey protein actually had a big impact, I think it is because I eat vension every 2-3 days[:D] good protein and alot better tasting than whey! what kind and flavor did you get? Personally I would stay away from vanilla but thats just me and some people I know, but I have never actually found a paticular whey that tasted "good" to me.

I took creatine for a little while (I had powder and just mixed it in the whey shake) I heard all it does is store water in your muscles pretty much. (I am no expert) so I stopped taking it because I had to be under a certain weight limit for grappling competitions and cutting weight is no fun. Dont forget that just because you take suppliments you still have to work out, they dont just make you grow muscle like some people think.

One suppliment I recommend to anyone is "NO-XPLODE" the fruit punch flavor. This stuff is just this mental toughness that pumps you up to workout!!! Every person I know who takes it LOVES it. Keep us updated!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 am

JPH,

Thats awesome you had a chance to work out with him. Hes a real good fighter. Does he train and MFS? and how far away from MFS are you?

I took his classes here http://www.iowabjj.com/ I don't want to give the impression that we are buddies or anything. I can just say that he is a really decent guy and remembered my name by the second session. I do not roll at that gym now b/c their schedule is no good for me.

MFS is in Davenport (I think). I am is the Des Moines area so they are a long way off. I do not know where Burns trains up before pro fights.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness