Do as I suggest not as I do

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
msbadger

Do as I suggest not as I do

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:31 am

Being fit for the hunt is very important but I've learned that being in shape and having good safety practices while preparing lands are as... if not more important. Learned the hard way on many things....

Hearing protection when using equipment.....I now have some hearing loss

Where dust masks when liming and fertalizing....don't risk lung damage

Eye protection when trimming or moving brush...scratched cornias no fun

Hydrate!....older you get ...faster dehydration can take you down!

Helmet with mask and chaps when downing tree and never alone!....even what you think is a small branch can kill

Equipment in good working order and SHARP....dull chains and saws are a danger

Keep your eyes open and go slower...poison spiders...snakes....ground bees ...wasps....hornets...ticks.. rabid animals...Ya just never know 

Well you get the idea...Oh and wear sturdy boots...you'd be surprised how easy it is to break ankles.... feet ..and toes while just walking in the woods....I and my surgeon were [&o]

JPH

RE: Do as I suggest not as I do

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 am

Excellent points! I'll add one more.

If you feel yourself getting tired during work days, it's time to quit. Those trees will be there to cut down another day. Fatigue and heavy/sharp/powerful things do not mix well.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 am

Great points Msbadger, I'll stress the protective equipment, especially when running a chainsaw.  I witnessed firsthand how well the protective chaps from stihl or husqvarnia work.  I won't pick up a saw with out them.  If anyone is planning on doing alot of tree downing I would also suggest taking a chainsaw operation course.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Great points Msbadger, I'll stress the protective equipment, especially when running a chainsaw.  I witnessed firsthand how well the protective chaps from stihl or husqvarnia work.  I won't pick up a saw with out them.  If anyone is planning on doing alot of tree downing I would also suggest taking a chainsaw operation course.

Good to see you OHhunter!

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good links that would offer chainsaw safety tips, videos, etc?

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

Good to see you OHhunter!

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good links that would offer chainsaw safety tips, videos, etc?

Here's a couple of links to some organizations that offer some sort of short course in chainsaw operation and safety training.  I took several courses while earning my associate degree in wildlife management. I would suggest any training that practices the Soren Erickson method of directional timber felling. 

Try these links (the second link has contact information for different regions/states)

http://www.woodlandtraining.com/courses/foresthome.php

http://www.gameoflogging.com/Training_Organizations.htm
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness