Deer Journal Program???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

Deer Journal Program???

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm

It's probably been brought up before but I cant find anything. Does anybody use a software program for a deer journal? I used Microsoft Word this past year and would like something a little more organized and easier to use. I gotta believe there are some good programs out there for this.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

RE: Deer Journal Program???

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

Great question.  I'd like to know as well.  It would be great to include photos as well in an electronic format.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:18 pm

I thought i saw somewhere on here someone used the "Microsoft Excel" program to journal stuff for deer hunting, im not sure who it was or under what post but i do remember reading something on here about that tho.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:18 pm

It seems like excel should work, and I've thought about it, but I dont know enough about it.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm with you on I don't know enough about it.

I just winged one on Word this year which worked, very basic but could upload pics and stuff which was nice.

I'm just thinking their has got to be a specific program for a deer journal.
All set up all you have to do is punch in the info.
Maybe a way to compare year to year and so on....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

I actually kind of like my handwritten version.  I'm hoping to pass it along to my son when he's older.  It's in a nice binder and everything, so I'm hoping it will seem more real that way.

I do, of course, have all my pics saved on the computer.  I went so far as to put together a little powerpoint slide deck with all of them.  Kinda neat.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

coach

Postby coach » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:59 am

My dad, the way he does it...
All handwritten.  In a photo album.

For every story...there's a picture.  Every miss, every hit, every jokes, every bad experience....weather....ect.

ex:  [font="trebuchet ms"]November 16 2008, Stephane arrives at camp at 9:00pm.  He's all gun ho.  Its pouring rain right   [/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"]      now but suppose to change to snow overnight. Other boys watching hockey game.  Claude already [/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"]      in bed.  Two glasses of wine...that's all he needs (lol).  (picture of me arriving)[/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"][/font] 
[font="trebuchet ms"]      November 17 2008, on my way to the Horseshoe Stand, notice a big buck track coming from the swamp bellow.[/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"]      This is second year in a row...I see big buck track coming from down there.  Spring...I will go down and scout  [/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"]      below.  (picture of the track)[/font]
[font="trebuchet ms"][/font] 
[font=arial]This goes on for the whole year.  He's being doing it on and off.  I have documents from 1963.  Stories about there hunt on paper.  Also included in the album was the price for what it cost them.  The budget for 8 guys.....food...gas....licence....propane.[/font]
[font=arial]A whole week of hunting cost eached guys 113.00[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]Its really cool.[/font]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 am

That must be really something read. I agree that is pretty cool.

Ive got a couple of paper journals packed as well, I just figured as much time as I'm on the pc  it make sense to do it on a pc. This year I found I can type up a summery much faster than writing it(and much neater as well) But like you point out you might lose a bit of the "personal" part.
Jake

brentru

Postby brentru » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:43 am

Over at Mossyoak.com they have an online field journal you can use after you sign up (it is free).  After you have uploaded some data you are able to do queries on it.  You can also decide to make some entries shared so other members are able to view them.  I wouldn't call it the perfect application, but it is sure better than nothing.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 pm

[font=tahoma]I use the BuckSpy Advanced program with Mapping - [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.buckspy.com/[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The program is great.  You can download a topo map and aerial photo for your property or properties.  You can overlay the topo on top of the aerial photo, which I think is a cool feature.  [font=tahoma][size=100]You will need a GPS (or borrow one like I did), but [/font]then you can add in points like tree stands, ground blinds, feeders, food plots, deer bedding areas, deer trails, scrapes, rubs, etc...  and they will show up on your map.[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]On your calendar, you enter all your observations, deer harvested, work on the property (filling feeders, planting food plots, etc...), as well as any trail camera photos.  This helps find patterns for the deer.   Also the calendar will have the moon phase for every day and the weather forecast for the next 7 days.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Definitely a great program and easy to use!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Next

Return to Best Practices