do i shoot the doe with a yerling? need advice

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
bellisland311

do i shoot the doe with a yerling? need advice

Postby bellisland311 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:02 pm

hey guy's, my deer camp requires a guest (im a guest of my dad's membership) to kill a doe before he can kill a buck, also if a member kills a sertain amount of does he get's an extra buck. so we try to hammer the does so we can have a extra buck for a freind of family member to come and hunt. well i have had some encounters with several does already this year but couldnt ever seal the deal, but i noticed every doe i have seen had a yerling or yerlings. when i was younger i wouldnt think twice but now that im older im trying to do the right thing, so i was wondering whut your opinion on this was? i know they will seporate in a month or so anyway, whut are the chances of the fawn making it and being healthy?

any advice would be great, thanks!

JPH

RE: do i shoot the doe with a yerling? need advice

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 am

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:55 am

I would not take issue with it..its a perfectly legal and more to your point, ethical, kill.  Bear in mind that doe will come into estrus soon, be bred again, and will start chasing those yearling off soon enough.

Modeerhunter

Postby Modeerhunter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 am

Studies have also shown that button bucks are more likely to stay where they are at if they lose their mother before she runs him off. Just food for thought. 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:42 am

True, but shooting those yearlings will also lead to more button buck kills if one is not careful. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

jsjandro

Postby jsjandro » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:13 pm

first off, by yearling i think you mean fawn right. fawns are 6 months old, yearlings are 1.5 by fall.  shooting yearlingsis fine, shooting does with fawns is fine too.  those fawns will simply meet up and join another group of does in short order for winter anyways - so it isnt like they'll die. last year i shot a doe with twins and ya know what those twins did? they met up with the other old doe with twins to create a five-some, which held together nicely till i killed that old doe too[:)].

nice to hear some group is using incentive to get bucks - i like that, it shows goal setting and attaining skills which more americans need to adapt to, and that includes hunters!!

have at em!!! 
only if we had antler point restrictions...:(

try not to become a man of success, but a man of value.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm

I would shoot a younger doe before I would shoot the matriarch does. But I would also be aware the button heads.

whitetaleresearcher

Postby whitetaleresearcher » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 pm

I've always looked to validate that the fawns are big enough to fend for themselves.  Are they grazing on their own, do they wonder off slightly or stick right with the doe.  I harvested a doe a few seasons ago that had 3 larger fawns all that were doing quite well by themselves.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management