Hydrogen Peroxide

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

Hydrogen Peroxide

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am

Anybody use hydrogen peroxide on their equipment to make it scent free? I always thought it would wreck the finish.
Maybe my Mom just said that so I wouldn't spill it as a kid Image
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

RE: Hydrogen Peroxide

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Goose, Joel posted this homade scent killer recipe.  It contains hydrogen peroxide and a few other ingrediants.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=13276

brentru

Postby brentru » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:33 am

I don't use it for scent elimination, but I do have a small spray bottle in my pack.  I was told by a wise Command Sergeant Major of mine that it is good to use for blood trailing when you start to lose the trail.  When it hits any blood droplets, it will foam and hopefully lead you to your trophy.  I haven't had the need to use it yet, but it sure is some cheap insurance against a lost animal.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:51 am

Good tips guys, thanks!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:37 am

ORIGINAL: brentru

I don't use it for scent elimination, but I do have a small spray bottle in my pack.  I was told by a wise Command Sergeant Major of mine that it is good to use for blood trailing when you start to lose the trail.  When it hits any blood droplets, it will foam and hopefully lead you to your trophy.  I haven't had the need to use it yet, but it sure is some cheap insurance against a lost animal.

that sounds like an awesome idea!  I will definitely have to put a bottle in my bag of tricks!  Thanks for the tip!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:56 am

Excellent tip.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 am

Great foaming tip, I would have never thought of that but it's true and should work great!  Ok, now we just need to see who will be the first one to use it in the field with success!

donna

Postby donna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 am

It is very possible peroxide will ruin the finish. It can be highly corrosive on metal. It WILL bleach clothing. 

donna

Postby donna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 am

The recipe given in that link by DeanoZ is also a potent skunk deodorizer!!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:02 am

ORIGINAL: donna

The recipe given in that link by DeanoZ is also a potent skunk deodorizer!!

Yeap a buddy of mine told me the same thing.  The use of the peroxide to detect blood is a new one, and considering my tracking recorder I'll be sure to keep some handy[:D]

Return to Best Practices