Stand on Tree line

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
kribbz

RE: Stand on Tree line

Postby kribbz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I always try to get about 15 to 20 yards in with shooting lanes out to the field.   This late in the year the leaves are down and the deer are spooky.  15-20 yards breaks up your silhouette a bit. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 am

Agreed...and one of the classic mistakes I made this season was not positioning myself perpendicular to their approach...if your meeting them head-on their liable to see you especially if yur just outside the tree line...set back in about 15-20 yrds perpendicular to their approach if possible.  Have you thought about a ground blind?

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:59 am

I think I'm gonna conceal the ladder a bit and see what happens.  This is a positive to our late antlerless only season here.  If I keep getting busted I'll make a change after this late season for next fall's archery season.  That will give the stand plenty of time to blend in.  The freezers full so what the heck.  A little research per say for next season. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm

I def plan on concealing not just my ladder stand but my other 2 hang on's as well, you can never be too safe when trying to blend in with the natural surrondings, good luck with the stand and hopefully you bag one before the season ends, and if not, like you said, a little research never hurts!!

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for all the ideas.  I moved the stand closer to the crossing.  I'm now perpendicular to where they come out and about 20 yards in the woods.  Last night I had three come through the gate and I shot the biggest doe (23yds).  I think I'm in a good spot now.  Deeper in the woods so I have better concealment.  Thats four for the year and I have 2 more tags plus bonus tags if I want.  I hope to put the stand to the test at least a few more times!   

Previous

Return to Tree Stands