Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
halebp

RE: Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Postby halebp » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 am

I just realized this is the gear review section... I'm going to repost this topic in the "archery and bowhunting" section

halebp

Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Postby halebp » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 am

I just went up to Cabela's about a week ago and got a fletching jig for my old arrows.  I got a Bohning fletching jig for straight fletches, as well as some Bohning Blazer 2" vanes.  These are the vanes the guy recommended for what I shoot, but was wondering what everyone thought - what you shoot; or if this is a good setup.  I shoot a Martin Tracer Left Handed bow, 75% letoff (I think), 60# draw, 30" Draw length.  My current rest is a Whisker Biscuit, but am going to switch to a drop away after season.  My current arrows are Easton St Epic arrows (slim carbon, currently 4" vanes, some offset), but I might be interested in buying blank shafts instead of re-fletching if anyone has suggestions.

Also, what does everyone think about the vanes - short or long? helical, straight, or offset? plastic or feather?  Keep in mind for a high fps, compound bow.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 am

Don't know what help it'll be but I shoot the 2" blazers with a right helical. I shoot a drop away rest and am very happy with the setup. Love the blazers and i recommend a right helical. Oh yeah I also shoot mechanical heads.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woody

Postby Woody » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 pm

I also shoot 2" blazers over a 4"wrap. I fletch mine with a R hilical bohning jig. I am shooting 70# Hoyt Katera with 75% let off at 27" draw. I shoot the carbon express maxima hunter 350s WF. I tried a few different arrow set ups and this is what worked best for me and my set up. I also shoot mechanical broadheads with a drop away rest. I have had good luck with Goat Tuff fletching glue. Not sure what everyone else thinks but I have good luck finding this kind of stuff on ebay. This is just what worked for me.  Good Luck!!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:43 pm

I shoot the carbon express 250's with the quick spin speed hunter blazer style vane.  6 inch wrap.  I got a dial a Fletch for Christmas and have a pile of arrows needing fletching...I have enough practice and hunting arrows to make it through the rest of season but will start fletching after season to be ready for the 3d tourneys....Any and all recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated thanks!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 pm

I fletch my arrows with an Arizona E-Z Fletching tool . I was using Blazers but switched to Quik Spins . I had to make a modification in order to fletch the Quik Spins .
Semper Fi !

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Be careful shooting blazers through a biscuit. I've heard of some people not being able to get their bow to tune at all with this set up. For me it works fine but just a heads up for ya!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:45 am

I've been fletching my arrows for a few years now and love it. Its alot of fun trying all kinds of feathers and vanes.
I bought the Bitzenburger striaght fletcher. I shoot blazers though a wisker biscuit with not problems at all. I tryed different off-sets but never the helical. I haven't bought the clamp for that set up. I have also shot 3" and 4" feathers through the buscuit with no problem, the longer vanes or feathers are nice for longer shots that need the extra air drag. I also shoot the CX 350's and have some lighter Eastons, and gold tips. Everyone's setup and form is different so try a bunch of kinds out.
What I've found out on my set-up is different tips work well, the same, or better with certain fletchings [:)]

One last thing, have fun with it and congradulations on your purchase

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:02 am

Here's a few, the feather'ed one I use for stump shooting.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 am

The greta thing about fletching your own arrows is that you can experiment to get the best set up.  What's on the front end of your shaft can dictate the type of fletch on the rear.  Blazers shoot good with smaller broadheads.  If you shoot a larger fixed blade you'll probably have tuning problems.  I used to use an Arizona which I liked but dropped it and it broke.  If you go with an Arizona make sure you place an old or broken shaft in it when not in use so the 'wings' don't glue themselves together.  I now use a Blitzenberg dial a fletch aluminum model(I think they have a plastic model also).  The pro-shops in my area pretty much all use this type and recommended it.  I also recommend shooting a helical fletch if possible, the more spin the more accuracy just like a bullet.  I've shot the Blazers and another model that had little speed ridges which I actually liked better.  I not sure of the name but I ordered them through Cabelas so you should be able to figure it out(I'm at work now w/o the catalogue).
Whatever you decide on read the instructions, they tell you the type of glue and whether or not you should wipe the surface with alcohol prior to use.  You usually need to rough up the surface on the shaft also.  Good luck.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting