Ashes for lime???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
danesdad

RE: Ashes for lime???

Postby danesdad » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm

I seriously doubt it is legal for "honey trucks" to dump raw sewage onto open ground.  I'd check into that before I did it.  The guy that pumps my septic has his own treatment facility.  I think he would be in (pardon the pun) "deep #$%&" if he dumped it right onto open ground untreated.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:16 am

I can tell ya that here in NY there are stricked regulations

Farms can take the liquid slug from their holding "ponds" and spread ...but they have to follow rules on how much per acre .....Local farmer didn't follow the rules and a down hill fish kill happened in local trout stream....big fines...also reg. on how much and far  while spreading near a nieghboring wells....

Honey dippers...it's a health hazard....but you can and they do spread the heated treated sludge from the sewer treatment plants.....the towns will mix the "pickup leafs" with the dried sludge from treatment plant to form a composte pile...we had 2 dump trucks of this brought in at our old house to form a raised bed garden....NEVER again have I had such a productive garden...Wow...I Know that this stuff was spreadf on local farmers fields as well... 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:40 am

I can tell you from first hand experience they do spread it on open fields daily.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:34 pm

I talked to the land owner whose fields regularly get septic dumpings and asked about it. He said that they come in and do soil test to make sure its the right type of soil with the right drainage. They can then use his fields to empty their tanks.
Just thought Id double check so I'm not lying to ya.
I know that farmers can and do spread their fields but if they have to many head they have to truck some of it out.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 pm

There ya go! Just like hunting regulations every states differant....N.Y. is just a bit more "anal" than others [;)]

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:54 pm

why not just use lime? its cheap in bulk..
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

wack

Postby wack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 am

There are good reasons dumping honey tankers out in the open fields is illegal and if it isn't, it should be. You don't drink from your toilet for many of the same reasons. Can you imagine what a deer thinks when they first encounter a dump sight? It must be like 1000 people invaded there field and took a dump all at once.lmao. That'll make 'em wanna stay. [8|]
 Now if you have a lot of wood ash, you do have to put it somewhere. Flower beds, food plots, compost pile, somewhere. Did you have the soil tested? Your food plots may not need anything, then again, ash might not be enough or you may have to add other things. The best advise is to get a soil sample and get it tested. The place I get my seed can match seed to my soil and light conditions, and can tell me what's needed in my soil. One of my area's conditions were good for a clover mix, another area only the Small Burnett grew well, different conditions, different plants. Much cheaper to plant what grows best with the least needed.
 There is a lot of house hold products that you can use for gardens and plant life also. I can't remember the guys name but he uses things like chewing tobacco tea for bugs, dish soap, beer, what ever problem you have, he had a cheap household remedy. I'm sure there's all kinds of info on the web. As with most things, start from the ground up. Figure out what your soil type is, what you have to work with and go from there.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:32 pm

When I pulled in to the land to look for sheds the other day the honey wagon was pulling out after emptying its tank. It is not illegal.
Jake

wack

Postby wack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 am

Goose, that depends on where you are and what kind of "honey wagon." Human waist and animal waist are regulated differently. I live down the street from A water treatment plant and the trucks used to air out the tanks on there way by after emptying. Now they get a big fine if there tanks aren't closed up before they leave the plant. Thank God. Couldn't stand to be outside when one of those trucks went by with open tanks. Stunk up the whole neighborhood and much worse than farm manure. Even spreading farm manure has rules. In some places, manure on snow washes directly into the water sheds and ends up in drinking water. I'm no expert, but know there are laws and regulations in place and some areas are different from others. Check with the DNR or Dept. of Agriculture for regulations in your area.

American by birth, hunter by choice.

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:06 am

Wack, your correct in thinking that the regulations are a bit different.  I looked into having the honey wagon come and spread the stuff from the septic tanks.  The guy that was going to do it had all types of regulations to follow, some per the DNR, and he actually had to add some stuff to his tank each time before spreading-something to do with killing germs and reducing the smell.  I decided against it after researching and asking questions.  Not only do you get the fertiziler, but you also get whatever else is flushed down the toliet too-tampoos, condoms, etc.  I wasnt real excited to be walking around in my food plots after hearing that.  He also told me to forget about growing any type of food I want to eat for at least 2 years if I would decide to have them spread the stuff from the septic tanks. That made me think a bit more-do I really wanna eat vension that has been eating on my food plots that are soaking up that stuff I flush down the toliet?  Just not my idea of a good idea, IMO.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices