CROSSBOWS

moxie1884

RE: crossbows

Postby moxie1884 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 am

ORIGINAL: NH hunter

First time poster here . I have been hunting with a crossbow for three years and got my permit because of a shoulder affliction . Three years and three deer although I could have shot many more .
 First and foremost - like all bow hunters we MUST get the deer within 20 to 40 yards , that is the challenge , i.e. the camo , the scent control , tree stands etc. After that everything is simpler as all one has to do is aim  which should require less movement and squeeze . I am able to pick the deer I wish to harvest with much more confidence .
I am in support of crossbows for all and all seasons . It was the intro. of compounds that made the sport of archery what it is today and of course there were detractors then also . Let the game managers decide if the kill is too high and remedy it . 

I agree with you completely.  I have my permit because of an elbow and have mine for five years and two deer later....  It is too bad that the word crossbow bring out the amount of anger from too many archers and archery associations.  They think there is noting to shooting a cross; yet, they could not be more wrong.  Like all bows, the crossbow requires a set up, sighting in, and a lot of practice to be good with it.  Maybe some day those archers will not be so narrow minded and change their thinking about crossbows.
Terry

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:01 am

I began using a crossbow this season.  I am a big proponent of them now.  Being able to hunt with one has totally changed my deer hunting knowledge.  A couple of points.

1.  I have gained access to 2 new hunting areas because of it.  One is in an urban area that allows bow hunting only.  No firearms.  This area is loaded with deer including a big 12 point my buddy and I each saw once.  If I was gun hunting I would have dropped the buck.  That would have been fine but I was able to watch a big buck and his behavior for a good amount of time.  The other is in a county that has the highest deer population in the state.  I see on average 10 deer every trip out.  The owner is not comfortable with someone gun hunting but is fine with bow hunting.  As a result the neighbors who gun hunt have pushed the deer onto the property.  Honey Hole! 

2.  I have been able to learn SO much about deer movement and action while trying to get one in range.  I could have never learned so much in one year while gun hunting. 

3.  Hunting with a crossbow has greatly increased my time in the woods.  With a combination of hunting the archery season and my new properties I've been able to log many more hours than I have in the past.  Including at least 2 days a week after work due to the close proximity to home. 

Just my 2 cents.  If someone wants to bash me for that,  they need to take a hard look at their ego.  We all just wanna hunt!    

coach

Postby coach » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:30 pm

VA Hunter.....nobody will bash you as a hunter.
They just don't like crossbow.

Just like blackpowder.  The old days.....a black powder...Davy Crockett style or whatever....
shots went up to 100 yrds.  Now...they come out to the box sighted at 100.
Its like a damm rifle or shotgun but with one shot.

Just to let you know....I bowhunt....I crossbow hunt...I rifle hunt....and muzzle hunt.

I don't care.  What ever get me out there.

be proud of your hunting heritage
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I started with a recurve,,then compound,,,now crossbow. My scoliosis{curvature of the spine} got too much for pulling.The crossbow is an ancient weapon. Long before muskets. They are considered"Primitive" weapons. Funny how Crossbows are never spoken of in those terms. Prejudice is a part of life. The funny looking kid on the playground,,The person with a different language, etc. Wait until all these young bow hunters with the vertical bows get older,,and the Arthritist starts in. They will look at things differently.

moxie1884

Postby moxie1884 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:45 pm

I find it interesting that too many people think we can just pick up a crossbow and hunt.  Yet, they fail to realize all the practice and preparation that goes into a hunt and the extra caution we much take when in a stand to make our shot with horizontal limbs.And yes, we all make those 75 and 100 yard shots all the time.  LOL's for that one.  We can blow a  shot with the best of them and kick ourselves for doing it.   Yet, it is a great piece of sporting equipment that by many is very miss understood.
Terry

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Comparing a crossbow to a gun is like comparing an internal combustion engine to a wind up toy.

coach

Postby coach » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 am

Maybe I wasn't clear enough....

bow = crossbow   (speed, distance...ect)

rifle =  muzzleloading   (speed, distance...ect)

I just don't understand the real reason why people are against crossbows.
To me....maybe because i'm not educated in that dept.....it makes no sense.
Bow is bow.

Its like muzzleloading.  Either you use the old style flint....or todays new and improved.

Its all the same, right ?
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 am

Nothing against crossbows, I've been getting considering getting one myself. In MS, the crossbow does not qualify as a weapon for archery season. It does qualify as a primitive weapon, as does a muzzleloader and certain types of rifles, such as the handi rifle. 

coach

Postby coach » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 pm

oh....i see say the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

rookiehunter

Postby rookiehunter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:23 am

In Canada, crossbows are considered for hunting under archery season no matter who it may be, except for one province (New-Brunswick) which is like the States where you must have a doc's note to be able to hunt with a crossbow during archery season.  I have never used a compound so I don't want to compare the xbow to the cbow, but the xbow does not give you any more distance than the cbow and nowadays, the cbow is as fast as the xbow.  Would the only difference be in the movement of the arms?  Please educate me on it!
Cheers

Next

Return to Florida