Turkey Calls

reeper0697

RE: Turkey Calls

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

I got into turkey hunting a few years ago, it is a rush! I have a box call, several slate calls, and mouth calls. I use the box and slate calls but my goal is to get good enough with a mouth call to use in the woods and feel confident. I am no pro but my advice would be to bring more than 1 call in the woods. Last year I used a box with no luck, tried a slate and no luck, then tried a glass call and 2 toms went nuts over it!(I'm not sure of the exact name for each of those calls since they are packed away) Again I am no expert in the turkey calling field but I have been fortunate enough to shoot some Toms. Good luck!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Ive used just about every call.. I am new to this kinda hunting but I find it in a way like deer hunting. I really enjoy it as much as deer hunting too. It's my 2nd year turkey hunting and Im hoping to get the bird I missed last year.. I believe there is a website www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com there is also a forum on there.. You might have some luck trying that out as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:45 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll checkout the website.  It just occured to me that this is a deer and deer hunting website...not turkey and turkey hunting, so I apologize

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:21 am

I prefer glass and slate calls made by CODY, but try several see what works best for you, I carry a couple boxes and a few diaghrams with me also.  Like was said early take a variety with you into the woods you never know which ones are going to get a response.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Nothing to be sorry about.. Good luck this season tho!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 pm

I use slate ..but mostly my voice ...diaphram calls gag me so I bought some domestic birds and learned to call with my voice listening to them...
I was in the computer room last spring practicing and called theses birds in

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0034.jpg" border="0" alt="2008 tom"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0035.jpg" border="0" alt="backyard tom"></a>

="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/IMG_0028.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks all...so look s like I'll be adding a few calls to my wish list [;)]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm

try em all .they all have unique  sounds and situations where they come in handy.if i had to pick just one it would be the diaphragm,then a box call,slate push pull box is nice if you mount it under the gun.slates dont work well when wet and some box calls dont either i suggest getting the waterproof type.it often rains during the spring season .primos sells mouth calls with a how to video and if you go to nationalwild turkey federation website they have  a section with actual turkey sounds so you know what your trying to sound like.good luck and start practicing,when you think you got it practice some more[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:01 pm

One piece of advice that i got from an old timer that has been invaluable to me is the practice of mimicking a hen.  Here's how he taught me to do it.  first you need real recordings of female turkey's ande all of their vocalizations.  There are bunches of these on the market.  I bought a battery operated electronic caller by Cass Creek.  Nothing fancy, but it's handheld and i carry it in my truck.  While I'm riding around or glassing for deer I cluck or yelp with the call and then try to mimmick it with a mouth call.  I've used slate calls, box calls, and diaghram calls with success by doing this.  Good luck this spring.  Few things more fun than calling up a big tom all blown up with a mouth call.
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

Previous

Return to Calls