Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
halebp

RE: Anyone fletch their own arrows?

Postby halebp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:12 am

I forgot to mention the business end I guess.  I shoot Thunderhead 100 broadheads.  So does having the fixed blade at the front affect the ability to put a helical, offset, or quikspin on the back?  It sounds like maybe I need some larger vanes with a broadhead...  I tried a few of the blazers with my current setup (whisker biscuit) and 100gr practice points and it seemed to shoot okay at 30 yards, granted my bow needs a decent amount of tuning after a rough season.  I havent tried the broadheads yet, I need to get a second layer of foam because they slice all the way through my foam target right now.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:36 am

I'd say if your grouping well with the blazers don't over think it, but try some other vanes just to see how they will affect your set-up. As far as your target goes. Get a few cans of "great stuff" from the hardware store and some packing tape and fill the cavity of your target up with the foam. This will get you another year or two out of your target. You could also stuff some plastic grocery bags in the middle for some extra stopping.

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:26 am

blazers and whisker biscuits were made for each other!

for those that havent already,Do yourselves a favor and try fletch tape,,,,greatest thing since sliced bread!

as for fixed blade heads...the more offset or helical you can get ...the better!  Think bullets, they have to spin to stabilize.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 am

Blazers and quickspin speed hunters are high profile fletchings and because of their high profile they are supposed to compensate for the length.
The speed hunters or whatever their new name is by NAP have a fin or little edge on the top designed to give the arrow more spin. They also have grooves on one side thats supposed to flatten it out.
You can get these quickspins in various sizes-4"  3.125" or 2" 

The blazers in my opinion are stiffer and more durable and fly just as good.

I did 6 arrows with the Quick Spin speed hunter 2"
and 6 arrows with 2" blazers

Shot them both last winter and went with the blazers. I really couldn't tell a difference in flight but the blazers held up to alot more abuse.

I also used 4 inch wraps and a Boeing jig with right helical.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 am

i did mine this year
i had to fletch the darn things 2 times haha cause i messed them up
but its pretty easy you just got to go slow and not second guess yourself and let the arrow holder do its job

halebp

Postby halebp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:18 am

Ok so it sounds like I'll just try a few different things and see what works - I haven't shot my blazers with broadheads yet; that sounds like my next step to see how they group.

What about shafts, knocks, and inserts.  Right now with my Easton ST Epics, the shaft has a smaller diameter than most carbons, and the HP insert, which is supposed to offer more stability with the tip.  But I don't know much between different shafts.  Anyone buy unfletched shafts?

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:10 pm

i think youll like the blazers. i would recomend a bit of helical, right or left ive never seen a difference. you should be able to get a clamp for your fletcher. like beagle man said your clamps may glue shut. this can be remedied with some clamp tape found thrpugh most archery suppliers. it goes on your clamps and the glue doesnt adhere.

i buy raw shafts. ive gotten them from several places. most suppliers will cut the to length for you and install the inserts. just make sure you get the same thing as your shooting unless you intend to switch.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 am

i would recommend a bit of helical, right or left ive never seen a difference.

If your arrow has a right helical, when it impacts the target it should tighten the head.
With left helical it might loosen the head.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 pm

The Blazers will shoot fine through a Whisker biscuit . After you fletch them , put a drop of glue on the leading edges of the fletching and they will hold up for a loooooooong time !
Do not shoot Quik Spins through a WB as it will tear them up due to that little tab on the fletching .
Semper Fi !

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:07 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

i would recommend a bit of helical, right or left ive never seen a difference.

If your arrow has a right helical, when it impacts the target it should tighten the head.
With left helical it might loosen the head.

ive found that a little bit of string wax on the threads of your field points will keep them snug. ive never had any adverse reactions in any hunting situations. although it raises an intersting point. i only shot left helical exclusively maybe two seasons after getting some fletched arrows real cheap but noticed no difference. i remember being told years back that right handed shooters should shoot left helical and left right. this was said to steer the arrow away from the riser upon release. as flight goes i dont think it matters.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting