You think you have it bad?

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
danesdad

You think you have it bad?

Postby danesdad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:59 pm

This article, in the March 2009 issue is fantastic!  I've never been a big fan of hunting shows and the "professionals" that star in them, because I never believed that these guys hunt under the same conditions as the rest of us.  This article is a much better representation of the situation most hunters are in.  Are hunters 42 times better in Iowa than they are in West Virginia?  I seriously doubt it!  Oddly, I never see a hunting program where the star goes on a free range hunt in West Virginia.  I wonder why not?

Hats off to Eberhart for putting into words what most of us have long suspected!

Goose

RE: You think you have it bad?

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Ive noticed that in every article and even his books he devotes some words to that very subject.
His books are very hardcore bowhunting and he's the real deal IMO. I recommend his books if you hunt in pressured areas.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:34 pm

i havent gotten my copy yet :( hopefully it comes soon!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

March '09 issue has come and been read already.  I wonder if yours got lost in the mail.

Also....I really enjoy Eberharts stuff...especially his book Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails.

Here's a link to his site:  http://deer-john.net/
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

March '09 issue has come and been read already.  I wonder if yours got lost in the mail.

Also....I really enjoy Eberharts stuff...especially his book Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails.

Here's a link to his site:  http://deer-john.net/

Both books are great reads,
I've enjoyed everything he had written.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:39 pm

So, do you think this guy has a handle on how the average hunter hunts?  Does he understand that we "Joe the Plumber" types are in the vast majority?  I haven't read anyhting by him outside the amgazine.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 am

danesdad,

I believe John E. is the average "Joe" and, he is or was a Contractor excavating or underground plumbing. He had no land of his own and for years just hunted on State land. What I like about his books is there written for guys like us. His books save guys like us alot of time that most of us don't have in the first place. Things he's learned can be passed on to us.

There's alot of Hollywood type hunting books out there and I think because he is alot like most of us, that's what seperates him from the others. Man I sound like a broken record...lol [:D]

Anyway pick up a copy of his first book Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails. Its a good read

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:11 am

I agree, I've read both of his books and alot of his articles. He seems almost against those "star" hunter's

Another one that is a real world hunter and writer is Steve Bartylla, his books and articles are great and he is a real world hunter, he hunts public land here in central WI and is not afraid of working hard for his deer. He's probably one of my favorites.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks Goose

I'll have to pick up a copy of his book.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I agree, I've read both of his books and alot of his articles. He seems almost against those "star" hunter's

Another one that is a real world hunter and writer is Steve Bartylla, his books and articles are great and he is a real world hunter, he hunts public land here in central WI and is not afraid of working hard for his deer. He's probably one of my favorites.

I agree with you Goose...Steve's books are great, and on top of that he's a hell of a nice guy.  I was at the Deer Expo in the Twin Cities last year and he was there and putting on a clinic along with Lee and Tiffany Lakosky.  I talked to him for a bit and it was like talking to an old friend!  Not sure if he's going to be at the Expo at all this year but I would bet he will be.
QDM!

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features