Ashes for lime???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
OHhunter

RE: Ashes for lime???

Postby OHhunter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I talked to the land owner whose fields regularly get septic dumpings and asked about it. He said that they come in and do soil test to make sure its the right type of soil with the right drainage. They can then use his fields to empty their tanks.
Just thought Id double check so I'm not lying to ya.
I know that farmers can and do spread their fields but if they have to many head they have to truck some of it out.

I hunt a property here in OH that borders a landowner whose business is pumping septic tanks and renting port a potties, they empty there trucks in thier fields everyday.  We actually watched them empty directly into a creek several years ago.  We called the health department and we're told it is perfectly legal.  They don't dump in the creek anymore (maybe the laws have changed) but they still dump in the fields that drain directly into the creek. 

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

wack

RE: Ashes for lime???

Postby wack » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:45 am

Brad, sorry to hear that. Maybe you called the wrong people. Try calling the DNR, the Dept. of Agriculture, and anyone else you can think of. Get someone out there that can test the creek water and ground water. Heck, OSHA might even have an interest. Take video of them dumping and prove they are polluting the area. In our area, septic tanks pretty much have to dump at the water treatment plant, and polluted wells from farm run off is heavily regulated.
 I don't know why anyone would want septic waist dumped on there property. That waist needs to be treated at a proper facility. Farm manure should be used carefully and within certain guidelines to protect the water shed. Manure should be composted for a lengthy time before used as a fertilizer to grow food for human consumption so why use it for animal consumption?  Even with the use of composted manure, you still should have the soil tested for the crop you choose to grow. There are other methods for caring for your land. Farmers rotate crops because some plants add certain nutrients that other plants need. There's a lot to consider and it all starts with the soil tests.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Previous

Return to Best Practices