Summit Tree stands

JOEL

RE: Summit Tree stands

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm

i swear by summit .every year in august i inspect every weld and add a touch up coat of white paint then cover it with OD. never had a weld crack.i also dont leave them up year round sept to jan then down they come
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:41 am

Just for the record I didn't have a weld break. It was my climbing bar that bolts to the upper part of my stand. This attachment point where the bolt goes thru sheared the metal, meaning the metal could not hold the bolt in. My guess is there was a micro stress fracture from the die when this part was stamped. I've been in the testing field for over a decade. This is not uncommon, I've seen this in cars, tractors and all kinds of stuff. 1 case maybe from a lot of 100,000 or so, don't quote me on that just trying to make a point. I didn't get hunt so no harm no fowl.

Sailfish I also have some issues with my harness, I'm going to get the HSS vest next year.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a Viper SS, rock solid, no noise.  I've used it for 5 years now and am gong to buy the Goliath as its replacement.  I'm 6'4" 250 and need a little more room.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

scbonehunter

Postby scbonehunter » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm

I've had a Summit Viper for three years with no trouble.  It's the most comfortable stand for those long waits on Mr. Big.  The carry straps are very easy on your shoulders also.  No mistake buying a Summit!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56
sailfish - get a hunter saftey system type saftey harness, you wont have that issue with the bunching in the crotch

Received it last week!!!

Boy they are NICE.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Murie51

Postby Murie51 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:37 am

I have been looking at buying a Summit Climber for a while now, but I am a little apprehensive.  I am 6'5" 265lbs, I need something that is going to be comfortable for me to sit it all day.  Do you guys have any advice for me?  Any direction on which stand would fit me best?
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

bowhuntingbiker

Postby bowhuntingbiker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Summit Viper SS is the way to go. I can sit in it 5 days straight from sunup to senset each day. No lie. I have the Ultimate Viper. Comes with all the extras. Very comfy!! BHB

rberken

Postby rberken » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:08 pm

FYI: My summit Viper base "collapsed" last weekend!  I was stuck up at 20+ feet.  Managed to crawl up onto the upper unit, then wiggle base up toward myself and release the "chain".  Then lifted lower unit above me, strapped onto tree and adjusted it real tight...then crawled up onto it to bend it back.  That crimped the adjustment area, so I could no longer get at cable to adjust....would only go so far down on tree.....

Basically, the 45 degree uprights bent in middle and the base felt like it was simply "loose"...base folded down onto tree....after I realized it bent, I called my wife to let her know I was stuck.  Luckily I had an old wooden ladder in area and someone met me to lift it up to me!  I just dropped down with safety harness to top of ladder.
Emailed summit and before they even responded, a new unit was on the way.  It arrived today!  Not sure what happened, but tree was wider at base and I did have the lower unit at upward angle......once I got way up there I did need to adjust the cable one notch on upper unit.  but lower unit was down 3 feet or so......it did feel like it could have been adjusted one notch, but when I saw bent metal, I knew something was wrong.  I weigh around 250.....but it's rated to 350.

I have loved the stand and would agree that the service is excellent.  I just have to figure out a way to uncrimp the stand to get it out of tree and send it back to Summit!

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:39 am

How many times have you used it? How many years old is it? Thanks...

DEGOINS

Postby DEGOINS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 am

There are ALOT better stands out there than summit!

PreviousNext

Return to Treestands