Tips

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Sailfish

RE: Tips

Postby Sailfish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:38 am

Everytime I see those infomercials with the people all muscular and ripped. I say to myself no way did that body come from an ab buster etc

If makes me laugh
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 am

I did dead-lifts today.

Then played three games of pickup basketball ( first time in like 8-9 years).
I think I might be hurting tomorrow.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 am

Yes...you will.

Maybe I should have mentioned DLs and basketball are a bad combo. Hopefully you live in a single story house. [:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 am

BTW, stand by for more on deadlifts in the next "exercise of the week".

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 am

Take weights (5-15lbs) and sit down on a bench. Hold the weights at eye level. Try to hold for 1-2 mins. Build it up over time.. This will resumble you holding binoculars up to your eyes. This is great for elk hunting where you are searching an area for a long time.

or you could just do the Chris Chelios work out if your feeling brave..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eATge2SFvak
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/09/11/chelios.workout0917/

But then of corse ya gotta do what he does after this... Put a bike in a sauna and ride it in there for an hour..yikes!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am

Kewl look forward to reading it.

Oh I forgot to say I was able to touch the rim today.
The goal is to grab it with both hands. Say ... 8weeks

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Kewl look forward to reading it.

Oh I forgot to say I was able to touch the rim today.
The goal is to grab it with both hands. Say ... 8weeks

Seriously? You had ups after doing deadlifts? Dude you are going to feel that this weekend!

If improving your vertical is really important to you I have another good routine to try.
3-5 sets of the following:
- Wall squat for 60 sec. (back to the wall and hold a sitting position)
- Immediately perform 10 jumping, bodyweight squats (do a deep squat and try to get air on the jump)
- Rest 60 sec.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:30 am

I'll try that. That will probaby help the legs in many other areas. Hiking, skiing, lifting, biking.
Good tip!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:51 pm

For those of you who are interested in strength training I found some great dvd's on Netflix. They are the Get Ripped series of discs by Jari Love. She covers all major muscle groups. Rather than using alot of weight she focuses on repetitions and also shows modified versions of some routines. She does use an assortment of equipment but you can find things to improvise. If nothing else the discs may give you some different ideas to work into your own routines. Some of the people she trains with are on more than one of the discs and you can deffinately see the improvement in their physiques.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I have been in a strength gain rut for a spell as well as an overall flatness in my personal fitness goals.

So lately I have been changing my reps up with the weights. I'm still mostly doing a pyramid approach to the reps (10,8,6,4,2,8) when I do a primary exercise (bp, squat, military press, etc), but on the associated secondary exercises I've been doing 9's.
Instead of the obligatory 8 reps, I shoot for 9. What a difference that last couple weeks with just that minor change!!
I've also started doing windsprints on the bb court during and or after weight training and the strength in my legs has improved too.

So, the tip of the day is to not be afraid to mix things up periodically to break stagnation or boredom.

Definately want to mix it up..mix up the reps, sets, weight, intervals, rest etc.  Also check your diet many in strength gaining routines often don't consume enough calories or the right quality of protien and Carbs...they go into cycling carb / cutting diets that are meant for body-builders or people trying to get lean...if you want size and strength start learnign how to curl that fork as well [;)]

JPH mentioned two good routines that I personally incorporate into my restance trianing..the 5x5 and the 3x8...these are great for your primary exercises (Squats, Deads, Bench, Pulls, Presses).  every 4-6 weeks I'll swtich up routines.  On my secondaries I stick to a 3 or 4 x 8-12 and switch up secondary exercises every 4-6 weeks as well

Also check your rest..and I don't mean between reps or sets...i'm talking complete days off for rest...thats when your building muscle and the body has a chance repair itself...this is so critical to consistent mass and strength gains and is often overlooked..less is more in this case.  Hope this helps

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness