Calling deer with your natural voice

Everyday Hunter

Calling deer with your natural voice

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:39 am

Years ago I saw an ad in D&DH about learning to call deer with your natural voice. Does anyone know how to do that? Is there an instructional video? Have you ever tried it, with what results?

Thanks.
Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Wanderer

RE: Calling deer with your natural voice

Postby Wanderer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 am

Everyday Hunter,
I have DVD called Tactics for "Talking" to Deer by Peter Fiduccia aka the "Deer Doctor". I bought it several years ago through the Outdoorsmans Edge Book Club. It's also available on the website www.deerdoctor.com.
I usually carry a grunt tube and a bleat can along with a wheezecall, but I enjoy attempting all these calls by mouth. I usually try them on deer that I don't really care if I spook off.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:22 am

I have learned by listening in the wild...I'm best at turkey but can do a descent buck grunt and OK doe bleat...though the buck grunt/growl is a sound I do in my throat and some times causes a cough[&o]...so prefer the tube calls

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 am

I've tried yelling at them, "hey, come 'ere....let me shoot you," but that doesn't seem to work too well.[:D]

I may try a snort wheeze every now and then with my natural voice.  Not too hard of a sound to make.

Of course, the "mhap!" seems to stop them in their tracks just before a shot.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 am

Ive been lucky with this.. I have done this.. I watch video's of gurnts and practice them with my voice. Ive called in a few deer when I forget the call, and about 98% of the time if a deer has seen me and is running I let up a loud one and the deer will stop, sometimes offering a shot.  I am very good at the natural voice turkey calls as well. Its just been somthing that I have studied and practiced A LOT and I mean A LOT! It wont always work, but it's nice to know how to do it if you need too.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm

I have also used my mouth and throat to make grunt calls with, and it has stopped them.

I can also do crows and Great Horned Owls pretty good too. When the Great Horns are passing through the oak woods adjacent to my property, I have had pretty good luck calling them in. It's neat!

Has anyone here called coyotes by sucking on the back of your hand, or inner finger? I learned how to do that when I was a teenager, and I've called coyotes that way from out in Wyoming to here in Illinois. They have to be somewhat close of course, and here in Illinois I once called one that was about 400 yards across a stubble field on a calm day. It's a good skill to have, as you don't have to dig for a predator call if you're deer hunting and you get a chance at some 'yotes.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I have also used my mouth and throat to make grunt calls with, and it has stopped them.

I can also do crows and Great Horned Owls pretty good too. When the Great Horns are passing through the oak woods adjacent to my property, I have had pretty good luck calling them in. It's neat!

Has anyone here called coyotes by sucking on the back of your hand, or inner finger? I learned how to do that when I was a teenager, and I've called coyotes that way from out in Wyoming to here in Illinois. They have to be somewhat close of course, and here in Illinois I once called one that was about 400 yards across a stubble field on a calm day. It's a good skill to have, as you don't have to dig for a predator call if you're deer hunting and you get a chance at some 'yotes.

I 've called a coyote in sucking on the back of my hand just this past summer while watching the bean fields for deer with my 5 year old daughter.  I just wanted it to stop so she could get a good look, darn thing turned and came directly to us. It got within 15 yds probably before it figured out we were a little big for dinner.  I've done it a couple times while bowhunting but being with my daughter and having that one come in for a close up view was great.   
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 am

i still carry a grunt tube but have used my voice as a bleat call for years. i have pulled more than one love struck buck literally to the base of my tree by doing this. i have/can grunt but the tube does it much better.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Calls