Turnips

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
msbadger

RE: Turnips

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am

Ha Ha Ha...when I first saw D40 for $80. ...My mind dropped the 0 and I thought where in the world did he buy a bulldozer for $80....lol ...not at Cabelas...[8D]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks VT, and thanks again for the comments! I got it off of ebay, their are a bunch of cams on there and they are SO much cheaper than going to a store or getting them off of a stores website, at least the ones i found were.  Not to mention it's pretty fun waiting to see if you won your product lol [:D]
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:17 am

Here is a question about turnips. I am going to be putting in a food plot of Imperial Clover mix this spring. I plan on spreading lime and spraying weed killer. Can I come back the end of July and broadcast turnip seed right on top of the food plot or does the seed have to be raked into the ground to get them to grow?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Im not sure nubs, im sure someone else will know tho! Their were different kinds of seed mixes like 'no plow" or "throw n grow" types i saw today at gander mountain with turnip in em so you may not have to get em into the ground, but thats just an educated guess and probably not a very good one lol.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 am

You can do it on bare soil before a rain and have success with it that way but I doubt you'll get your moneys worth just overseeding it into an existing stand.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:18 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

Here is a question about turnips. I am going to be putting in a food plot of Imperial Clover mix this spring. I plan on spreading lime and spraying weed killer. Can I come back the end of July and broadcast turnip seed right on top of the food plot or does the seed have to be raked into the ground to get them to grow?

Hey Nubs,

What you are talking about, a lot of people call "top dressing". It will work, but like whay Goose said, it is going to take a bit more seed to do it right. Your germination rate won't be as good with this method. The great thing about clover, is that you can run a roller over it and it won't hurt it too much. If you are going to top dress over the clover, again, do what Goose suggested and do it before a rain and then come back in after the rain, given the field isn't flooded, and roll it with a light roller to ensure seed to soil contact. Turnip seed shouldn't be planted any deeper than a quarter inch into the soil, so as long as you get good seed to soil contact, it should take off.

Good luck with this.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:45 am

Yes that is what I am going to do "top dress" my plot with turnip seeds, not the whole thing just a section that is closer to my stand location. I wasn't aware that this practice was called "op dressing", thanks for that VT. I will have to watch the weather at the end of July for a good soaking rain!

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Thanks VT, and thanks again for the comments! I got it off of ebay, their are a bunch of cams on there and they are SO much cheaper than going to a store or getting them off of a stores website, at least the ones i found were.  Not to mention it's pretty fun waiting to see if you won your product lol [:D]

Hdey Demoderby. I just got two D40s off of Ebay. 77.50 each. Not bad. Now I just have to wait for them to come in. I have an I40 out there now. Just put it out the other day. Can't wait to get a couple of pictures off it again.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 pm

VT

Awesome! I just put mine out today, i loved how simple it was to set up! Im really hoping to get some pics off this one unlike my other Wildgame innovations cam, i had a lot of sign around, looked like they were digging for some food, im gonna go check it out this weekend or next monday, i'll post pics when i bring it back, if they look good and i dont have many missed shots i will be buying another D40 or another type of Moultrie, good luck with yours!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 am

I look forward to the pics Demoderby. When you got your D40, did you have to do any software updates on it? I know the I40 had a couple, but I am not sure about the D40.
I am going out today to pick up a couple of SD cards and some batteries. Getting pretty excited already about getting out there.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management