bow pulling excercises?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
whubbard

bow pulling excercises?

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:11 am

what if any body weight excercises can i do to strengthen my bow pulling draw? 

JPH

RE: bow pulling excercises?

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Absolutely!

Pull-ups are the most classic and while the movement is slightly different, the same muscle groups are used.

Another great exercise is the bodyweight row. These can be done from a bar or by using rings. There are some pics of these on the No place for pull-ups? thread, but Ill post them again.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks.  will try to start incorporating those in to routine.  Haven't been  so i'm excited to see the results in my bow draw.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:09 pm

whubbard, keep an eye on the "exercise/routine of the week" thread. I hope to update it tomorrow with an awesome movement for drawing. It is not bodyweight, but requires little in the way of equipment. 

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 pm

will do.  thanks again

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:20 pm

No prob. One other point to consider, make certain that you do not neglect pushing movements.

If you work one movement too hard and not the opposing movement, you are more open to injury. So you would want equal measures of rows and push-ups, for example.

Another point is that drawing a bow is really part push and part pull. Balance is important. That is why the next "exercise of the week" is so great.

Patriot

RE: bow pulling exercises?

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:28 pm

One thing to keep in mind regarding draw weights.

Set your bow as high as you can, but still be able to pull straight back with ease.  You don't prove anything by pulling 80 pounds and grunting and groaning while you do it.

I pull 62 pounds and can pull it straight back even after hours in the cold.  Sure, I could pull more, but I would create a lot of unnecessary movement while doing so.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JOEL

RE: bow pulling exercises?

Postby JOEL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 am

i use power bands you can hold them in your hand and mimic the draw movements exactly you can also tie them to a rail.door knob to work out/strech your upper body
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness