Hiding Your Stand(s)

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Demoderby4

Hiding Your Stand(s)

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 am

I figured since just about everyone's season is over it would be a good time to start thinking towards the spring and how to be better prepared next year, stand wise. I mean its never to early to think about opening day already right? ;) But i know i did a terrible job of hiding my stand/spots this last year, i was rushed to find a spot during the last week of sept, which is when i got permission to hunt the land and i had barely anytime to do much work on my spot other than cut shooting lanes in preparation for opening day (which was oct. 1st)

But what did you do this last year? Or what do you plan to do this year to conceal your stand and try to break up your outline and the stands outline? Be it a ladder stand, hang on, box ect... I know i plan on buying some burlap and using that as well as real branches/leaves and whatever else i think might be beneficial to hiding my stand and myself while on stand. Any input would be great!

Goose

RE: Hiding Your Stand(s)

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am

I will say that all my stands are in no need of cover. If there isn't any cover in the tree I want I look for another tree. I know what you mean though and it is important.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 am

i use a climber now mostly. when we had permenant stands i would collect those fake  christmas trees after christmas and use the branches to fill out/conceal the stands works real nice and its free
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 am

I mean more than just the stand itself, but yes i agree goose, if a tree is bare i would not set up in it either! If your not in a climber tho, do you hide your ladder or your climbing sticks if you use them? I plan on doing this as well. Good idea with the fake xmas tree branches joel, if i see any laying in someone lawn waiting to be taken away i'll try to snag it up first lol.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:49 am

I was also going to mention the fake Christmas tree idea.  I put up some camo burlap and it seems to work ok.  My area is so wide open and there are few trees.  My favorite spot (see pic) is the only sizeable tree in the area.  Kind of a buzzkill.

I also used ground blinds and try to "brush them in".

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 am

No I don't hide my climbing sticks but I make sure the straps are washed in scent free soap/water and then spray them once they are up.
Ladder stands I really don't use anything to conceal them either.
They do make a product you can buy thats strapped to a tree with like 6 or 7 wire "branches" that you can bend where ever you want If your interested I will find the name for ya.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 am

Yeah i have heard about those wire branch things goose, that might be an option. I'm just throwing some ideas around seeing what people have tried or what has worked/hasn't worked. I'll take them name tho if you don't mind.

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I brought this up a few weeks ago and concealed the ladder.  It has worked well so far.  I haven't got a shot yet but I am no longer spooking them.  I love the fake X-mas tree idea.  They always post them for free on Craigs list.  What a great way to recycle. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:09 pm

PMI's Cover System-  http://www.camoflex.net/camoflex/deer/  I've seen them in the sportsman's guide.

If your gonna use regular branches I would recommend oak branches, the leaves will stay on alot longer.
Jake

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:19 pm

go to walmart and buy a decorative tree.  cut the limbs off and there you have it!  instant cover for about 10 or 15 bucks

Next

Return to Tree Stands